Cura 2.3 (Release) - suggestion

DaHai8

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.3 (Release) - suggestion

I'm afraid versioning the Release of Cura the same as the Beta is going to be an issue of endless confusion.

From my background, our Corporate IT department used the convention of Major.Minor.Beta with a the numbers always incrementing and never using the same number twice.

2.2.1 - 2.2.9 would be betas (your could even slice it finer with 2.2.1.1...)

2.3 would be a release after a 2.2.x beta

3 would be a Major release

So in Cura's case, since you already used 2.3 as the beta, I would have gone to 2.4 Release. Then for the next release Betas, used 2.4.1 - 2.4.9 to get to Release 2.5

Just a suggestion, cause I think your versionings are very confusing (not to mention using 15.x for the Old Cura and 2.x for the New! Yipes.)

P.S. Right off the bat, Cura is warning me that version 2.3 is already installed ... even though that's a Beta and this new one is the Release....

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Posted · Cura 2.3 (Release) - suggestion

The beta of cura 2.3 actually has version number 2.1.99, because there was never a 2.2, so it's both better and worse than you thought.

I think the next release will be 2.3.1 with some amendments of bugs we didn't solve in 2.3. it's not a 2.4 beta, although we could continue our scheme and keep even numbers for betas and odd numbers for official releases.

I thought the new Cura should be named "Cura+" but management decided on "Cura 2".

Posted · Cura 2.3 (Release) - suggestion

The beta of cura 2.3 actually has version number 2.1.99, because there was never a 2.2, so it's both better and worse than you thought.

My Cura 2.3 beta had version 2.3 in the about box. 2.3 Release also warned me that version 2.3 was already installed (it was the beta). I downloaded that beta the second day it was released (Sept 2) and even the install file is named "Cura-2.3.0-BETA-win64.exe". Then when the second 2.3 beta was released, it was given the same number, adding to the confusion.

I thought the new Cura should be named "Cura+" but management decided on "Cura 2".

If its to be Cura 2, then why not Cura 2 v1.3 ?

(Probably even more confusing...sigh)

Or Cura++, Cura Turbo, Cura - TNG

:)