Splash screen then stopped working error. Cura 2.3 help?

Kenwolfe

Posted · Splash screen then stopped working error. Cura 2.3 help?

I loaded Cura 2.3, When I try to run it, the splash screen comes up and just as a larger screen comes up (I don't even have time to read it), I get a "Windows Has Stopped..." error. I'm running Windows 10.

Any ideas? Thanks...

In all likelyhood, uninstalling/reinstalling will do nothing. The problem probably lies with the data C:\Users\[you]\AppData\local\cura, and that does not get touched when uninstalling/reinstalling.

I know it is not a reinstall issue, but I wasnt sure if just cleaning the folder would work.

clean out your Cura appdata folder etc

The only thing that would influence cleaning the folder would be if Cura was still running. Make sure Cura is not running, move/rename/remove the folder and start Cura again. That should do it.

• Like 1

Try to Uninstall, clean out your Cura appdata folder etc and reinstall.

Seems similar to @LePaul s issue

I deleted the Cura appdata folder and restarted with the same result.

So, I deleted it again, uninstalled the program and reinstalled with the same result. I'm at a loss here.  Thanks for answering though.

In all likelyhood, uninstalling/reinstalling will do nothing. The problem probably lies with the data C:\Users\[you]\AppData\local\cura, and that does not get touched when uninstalling/reinstalling.

Thanks for responding but this didn't resolve my issue. I tried a couple different things with deleting the Cura appdata file each time with no change.  Thanks anyway.

Do you have Cura 1.99 installed? If so, uninstall that

Also, RENAME the folder "cura.bak" (no quotes) and trying running the program again

I tried a couple different things with deleting the Cura appdata file each time with no change.

Is there a stderr.log file in C:\Users\[you]\AppData\local\cura? If so, could you paste that into pastebin.com and post or dm me a link?

Do you have Cura 1.99 installed?  If so, uninstall that

Also, RENAME the folder "cura.bak" (no quotes) and trying running the program again

No, I don't have 1.99 installed and I tried renaming to Cura.bak and it still won't get past whatever happens after the splash screen closes.   Thanks anyway.

I tried a couple different things with deleting the Cura appdata file each time with no change.

Is there a stderr.log file in C:\Users\[you]\AppData\local\cura? If so, could you paste that into pastebin.com and post or dm me a link?

Here is my stderr.   Thanks for looking over it for me.

http://pastebin.com/fw3TUvHs

OpenGl fails to initialise. What GPU do you have? Is it possible to update the driver for the GPU?

Are you perhaps operating the computer over a remote connection?

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Splash screen then stopped working error. Cura 2.3 help?

OpenGl fails to initialise. What GPU do you have? Is it possible to update the driver for the GPU?

Are you perhaps operating the computer over a remote connection?

No remote connection. I think I know what's going on here. I ran Cura on this machine last winter before I broke down (The Microsoft popup window wore me down) and replaced Windows 7 with Windows 10. Intel didn't upgrade the drivers for Win10 for this chipset. I'm stuck with Microsoft's idea of drivers that pretty much tie my hands.  I ordered a new graphics card.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Guest

I can relate.

Windows 7 ran aweome on my Toshiba laptop (Intel i7, 32gb RAM, 512gb Samsung Solid State Disk)...but the Intel HD 4000 chipset for graphics. But it did well.

Since Windows 10 the fan runs at 100% all the time. Very annoying.

*Update*

Installed a new 1gb graphics board. While I was inside the machine I added another couple gb of memory and upgraded the power supply to eliminate it as an issue.

A few settings in bios, a couple new drivers (not from Microsoft).....

Cura starts!

Thank you ahoeben and LePaul for responding to my post, and ahoeben for pointing me in the right direction!

Time to make stuff!!!

Glad to have helped in my own, small way :)