Simplify 3D support material

Project4558

Posted (edited) · Simplify 3D support material

Hi all,

I don't suppose there are any folk on here who use simplify 3D as their slicer are there? I'm exceptionally pleased with it on my UM2 but I do have a query when it comes to support material, largely in the difficulty of removing it post print. Done suppose anyone has support settings they are happy with and wouldn't mind sharing?

CJ

Edited by Guest

Posted · Simplify 3D support material

It highly depends on the print layer. Basically you need to play with Upper Lower Vertical Separation Layers. You can set 0 so the overhang and the support don't have a gap (for PVA double extruders) or you can increase the Separation layers if you are printing very fine layers like 0.06 or 0.1. For this, and it depends highly on the area, you could increase the separation layers to 2, but beware it might do worse supported overhangs.

Also if you increase the layer gap, you might want to also increase the 'Horizontal Offset From Part' and specially the 'Extra Inflation Distance' So the overhangs 'expand' and is easier to take out some tools.

Also, if your overhangs don't have areas inside the print (overhangs inside the print that don't touch the bed) you could play with Dense Support Layers (along the other options mentioned) this way it will make a solid roof with 1-2-3 layers (you choose how many) and the supported area will rest over a nice comfy toplayer. It can be harder ro remove, or easier, depends highly on how's the print area.

If you have problems to remove the support, and you choose to play with Dense Support Layers, try to change the Support Infill Angles to 0 or 90. This makes a easier support to remove (when is used with Dense Supports).

This is my experience, and it highly depends on the area to support.

Posted (edited) · Simplify 3D support material

Wow thanks Neotko! My experience with 3D printing spans over 6 years now but the first half of that I had an UP! Plus and their software was very restrictive. Only two head temps, maybe 12 points of adjustment all in. So instead of changing settings I learned the machines flaws and designed around them. Having got my UM2 and later simplify 3D, the options are joyous and varied. But now I need to un-learn some of the techniques I use as instinct.

Support is always something I try to design around. It usually comes off of an angle or compound curve with no resistance, but a flat has always been fixed in post. It only occurred to me recently that now that I have the settings to play with, I probably should use them :p.

Thanks again for the detailed write up. More information to file in the mind palace in the ever expanding 3D printing section lol. Some experimenting to be done!

CJ

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1