Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
wishbone

UM2 Upgrade kit - Print head crashes if your not careful with the axis assembly

I just installed the UM2 upgrade kit and ......

I just wanted to say i think you need to add something in the tutorial video for the UM2 Upgrade Kit Video about making sure the X shafts are positioned properly in their axial direction.

I had my X shaft clipped in properly in the plastic lugs, and it looked good, but I didn't realise it had to protrude out on the left hand side so it hits the limit switch when the print head homes - consequently when the print head tried to home the limit switch wasn't pressed and it tried to smash through the back of the machine.

Its pretty hard to see the limit switch as its covered by the top of the frame, and there is no mention of this in the video.

Hi @Wishbone, thank you for your feedback.

Was the rest of the assembly straight forward?

Thanks again for sharing, I will pass it on as feedback to check how this can be implemented clearly. In your case, your Ultimaker definitely produces a sound you do not want to hear, but it does not cause any physical harm to your Ultimaker.

What you hear is the motor skipping steps, and after a few seconds it stops trying.

Have you already tried to make a print after the upgrade?

Have a great day!