Filament Stuck Inside Heater Block.. :[

Kyle_fer

Posted · Filament Stuck Inside Heater Block.. :[

A friend asked if I could print him something, my filament snapped near the spool, After removing the filament, I started to do the Atomic Method to clean the head.

After the head cooled to 90°C, I tried to remove the filament and not all of it came out...

I removed the nozzle, but there is still filament stuck inside the head.

I can see it when I look down the heater block where the bowden tube goes, but it's about 2 inches into the block, I cannot grab them with tweezers as it is out of reach, and I don't think trying to poke anything into the bottom blindly is a good idea..

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

20161112_215549_HDR.thumb.jpg.52cd11adb1fdcb3536c733935fb3b3ae.jpg

20161112_215549_HDR.thumb.jpg.52cd11adb1fdcb3536c733935fb3b3ae.jpg

Well, I fixed it. I was afraid of doing this at first but I did it, and I'm going to post my fix so it is made known.

I had to take the head unit apart, after pulling the lower piece down, I pushed the cable from the top down to give some slack, keeping the 3 black pieces together, I was then able to heat the head up and pull the piece out at 90°C.

Re-assembled, but I'm too tired to test if it's in working order now.

Photo is after I removed the stuck piece.

20161112_221954.thumb.jpg.97f409f9b14fbb8035fdb76a16dd84c9.jpg

20161112_221954.thumb.jpg.97f409f9b14fbb8035fdb76a16dd84c9.jpg

• Like 1

well done, its not too difficult after you have done it once, as you will see next time.

The only other council I would give you is to double check all the fans are functioning after the re-assemble as the connectors are not as well connected as I would prefer - I have soldered all of the crimped connectors on my UM2 fans

Also the temperature will be higher for materials other than PLA, so ABS I use about 120°C

good luck