UM2 Wobbly Out of Round Pulleys

WiseOldOwl

Posted · UM2 Wobbly Out of Round Pulleys

So I just did the UM2+ extrusion kit upgrade to my UM2 & I noticed that the pulleys at the back (Y axis) are out of round. I knew about this since it was new, but knowing that every little bit helps - in regards to ringing and print quality, I'd like to get them running true.

--

The shafts are not bent according to my dial indicator...I *could* order new pulleys, but my concern is that they are going to be just as wonky/wobbly as the originals. Do you guys know where I can get high quality pulleys in the US that run true? (The shafts are also aligned properly and belts 'relieved' to equalize belt tension)

--

Can you tell me the specs for these? I think they are GT2, 2mm pitch, 20 teeth - right? It looks like SDPSI is out of them - thought about buying some pulley stock and turning & boring them (sneaking up on bore diameter for very close fit) on the lathe. Not sure if that is worth it or not. I'd have to add side plates to each pulley if I did that though & drill/tap grub screws. Thoughts?

--

I did a search before posting - I can only find info for upgrading UMO MXL to GT2...

Posted (edited) · UM2 Wobbly Out of Round Pulleys

I don't own a um2 and I don't know how much would help to have perfect pulleys. My gt2 on my umo+ are quite ok (better than the woobly mxl has by default). For high precision stuff I always go to misumi, but I suppose there's other sources.

The specs of size are on the github https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2?files=1 but indeed it doesn't say what gt2 is. But indeed is GT2 20teeth

Edited by Guest

Thanks Neotko. I forgot about the GitHub repository.

I'm still wondering if I got replacement Ultimaker ones - since nobody has chimed in that 'mine are wobbly too' or if I should go the Misumi/SDPSI route. Buying from Misumi looks to be a bit of a hassle.

I have a bunch of mini parts to make using the .25 nozzle and every little bit helps at that scale.

Do you happen to have an UM reseller nearby that you could go and check in person their pulleys before buying?

No unfortunately I don't. I guess I'll have to tough it out and just buy a couple from different suppliers and spin them in the lathe to see which ones run true.

Posted (edited) · UM2 Wobbly Out of Round Pulleys

Hi, WiseOldOwl,

I'm sorry to hear the pulleys are off-round. Does the head feel like it moves smoothly?

Replacement parts are available for most of the UM2 components at fbrc8's webstore and ship anywhere in the US. fbrc8 is Ultimaker's North American assembly/support partner. It looks like we don't have the pulleys listed on the main webstore page right now, but I know we've got some in stock in the store if you want to email in at Sales@fbrc8.com.

Do you happen to have an UM reseller nearby that you could go and check in person their pulleys before buying?

No unfortunately I don't. I guess I'll have to tough it out and just buy a couple from different suppliers and spin them in the lathe to see which ones run true.

Edited by Guest

Hi, WiseOldOwl,

I'm sorry to hear the pulleys are off-round. Does the head feel like it moves smoothly?

Replacement parts are available for most of the UM2 components at fbrc8's webstore and ship anywhere in the US. fbrc8 is Ultimaker's North American assembly/support partner. It looks like we don't have the pulleys listed on the main webstore page right now, but I know we've got some in stock in the store if you want to email in at Sales@fbrc8.com.

Thank you Erin. I didn't think to check there...I bought the machine new from Fbrc8 a few years ago.

A special 'Thank You' to Erin and the rest of the crew at Fbrc8. They went out of their way to proactively take care of me.

I know where I'll be getting my UM3 when I am ready! :)

Thanks!!!

WiseOldOwl

Glad we could help! If you've got any questions about the assembly instructions, just reach out.