New Material on Ultimaker 3

conny

Posted · New Material on Ultimaker 3

Hi,

my new UM3 arrived and i'm quiet happy with it, but i have one big Problem. I use a lot Material from Colorfabb eg. Bronzefill, HT, nGen Flex... So i generated many new Material Profils in Cura 2.3.1 but didn't find a way to import these new Profils on the Printer.

The UM2 has an Import function, so it's very easy, but there is nothing like that on the UM3. Did i miss something?????

bests,

Conny

Thx for your reply :-) But when i load the material on the Printer i have to make a choise (in the display of the printer) and there are only the 5 Ultimaker materials (if they have no Chip).

I tried to load HT and then i choose on the Printer one of the 5 material, in that case ABS. When i did the slicing in Cura i selected my new material Profil for HT and saved on the USB stick. When i put this stick on the Printer and select the gcode the Printer will not accept the in cura prepared material. It has to be the one i choose on the Printer.

So what to do now??????

Posted (edited) · New Material on Ultimaker 3

So what to do now??????

Hi Conny, it's not a real big deal, you only need to find your way around Cura I guess.

For material that is not recognized automatically because the NFC tag is missing on the spool, you will have to setup a material profile once (remember: having a profile for different colors of the same materials can be helpfull).

How I do this?

1. On the UM3 itself select the closest match (temperature wise) to the material you are loading; temperature is important so the 'unknown' material will melt properly

2. Open Cura

3. On the menu go to Settings > Printcore (choose number you have loaded material into) > Material > Manage materials...

4. Duplicate material profile that most closely matches the material loaded and name it so that you recognise the material

5. Edit the newly created profile to match the material parameters

Next step is to create a custom print profile via Settings > Princore [x] > Profile > Manage Profiles, this is pretty much self-explanatory when you go through the screens, basically works the same as for setting up materials profiles. Before doing this give a bit of thought of how you will name the profiles, since the list of profiles might grow large over time and a bit of smart naming might help you find profiles a little easier later on.

Once you've done this, you can select the material through Settings > Printcore [x] > Material and the print profile through Settings > Printcore [x] > Profile

All that is left now is set the other parameters for desired/optimal print results (most likely you will need to a bit of test printing to get to the desired result), and update the print profile when your requirements have been achieved.

In case you wonder why to setup materials AND profiles: setting up materials independ from profiles allows you to use the same material different profiles.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I forgot to mention that when you start a printjob via the network, you will get a warning that material does not match the material that Cura thinks is in the printer (remember you selected one of the 5 available on the machine itself?) You can simply ignore the warning and go ahead with printing.

Edited by Guest

You can simply ignore the warning and go ahead with printing.

I did all the things you discripted above on Cura / Printer. When i got the warning on the Printer and tried to ignore it, the Maschine didn't started the print!!!! That's why i began this conversation....

You can simply ignore the warning and go ahead with printing.

I did all the things you discripted above on Cura / Printer. When i got the warning on the Printer and tried to ignore it, the Maschine didn't started the print!!!! That's why i began this conversation....

I see... I had the exact same thing once, it happened when I did not follow the normal material/printcore unload/load sequences all the way through the end (I did not -and still don't- fully understand the logic behind the differences of unloading/loading materials and printcores so I was experimenting a little to find shortcuts here ;) ).

My fix was to go through the cycle (one step at a time): unload material - change printcore - load material.

I think that during the fix I just broke off the second step after it accepted the 'new' printcore by powering off the printer, but am not 100% sure about this so could be that I did follow the full sequence presented by the UM3.

Hi, I'm looking forward for the possibility to get into 3D Printing with this combination of the Ultimaker 3 and ColorFabb like filaments, with metal, so I'm looking forward for the solution...

As anyone been able to print with these material?

Isn't it possible to create a NFC tag for this spools? Os it has to be Ultimaker to create them?

Thanks!

Hi, I'm looking forward for the possibility to get into 3D Printing with this combination of the Ultimaker 3 and ColorFabb like filaments, with metal, so I'm looking forward for the solution...

It took me some time, but i get it to work :-)

If you want to print with two "foreign" Materials (as a dual print) and do the workflow Zwakie suggested, you'll get the following message from your printer: "This print job is not suitable for this printer - Err 26"

So the printer will NOT start the job....

What you have to do is to cheat Cura and the printer :-)

In Cura you have to pick up for the printcores one of the 5 Materials (eg. CPE) and modify it in the section "Material" on the right side - like printing temperature, build plate temperature a.s.o. so the it has actually the parameters of eg. Bronzefill. When you select the material on the printer it has to be the same you choose in Cura (eg. CPE).

It's not working when you add a new material to the list in Cura and select that for your printcore and slicing - then you'll get the ERR 26 message.....

hope it helps,

Conny

• Like 1

It took me some time, but i get it to work :-)

If you want to print with two "foreign" Materials (as a dual print) and do the workflow Zwakie suggested, you'll get the following message from your printer: "This print job is not suitable for this printer - Err 26"

So the printer will NOT start the job....

What you have to do is to cheat Cura and the printer :-)

In Cura you have to pick up for the printcores one of the 5 Materials (eg. CPE) and modify it in the section "Material" on the right side - like printing temperature, build plate temperature a.s.o. so the it has actually the parameters of eg. Bronzefill. When you select the material on the printer it has to be the same you choose in Cura (eg. CPE).

It's not working when you add a new material to the list in Cura and select that for your printcore and slicing - then you'll get the ERR 26 message.....

hope it helps,

Conny

Good additional explanation @Conny, and funny you mention the E26 error since tonight for the very first time I got that error. Unloading the non-UM material and reloading the same non-UM material cleared the error for me (it felt like the UM3 got itself confused somehow, since I can't explain why this fix would clear the error).

Despite that, things for you seem to work a little different than for me since I have been using non-UM materials on both print cores exclusively for the last weeks without any problems. Maybe a small detail was omitted from the workflow that I wrote down, but despite a careful re-read I don't know what it might be :(.

I think Daid has some issues to fix, especially for the Material concept on the UM3. The design and idea is really nice, but it's not properly working now....

I really hope that changes soon :-)