CURA 2.3.1 Bug with combining "No Skin"

makingzone

Posted · CURA 2.3.1 Bug with combining "No Skin"

I think there is a bug with combining option.

When combining is enabled, everything work well, and Cura doesn't generate retraction when the nozzle stay on a already printed part.

But there is a problem when you select the No Skin option. In fact, it's ok during the infil layers (there are no retraction) but the combining is disable for the skin layer and all the previous dense layer..

I think the No Skin option is used to increase the top surface quality, so I think it could be applied only on the last top layer, isn't it ?

I've seen the same behavior, and reported on it here as well a few months back.

But I've come to understand there are valid arguments for it either way:

1) Only retracting on the outermost top/bottom layer would decrease print times and make sense for highly dense filament/colors as trails left on underlying layers would not be visible.

2) Retracting on all top/bottom layers (not infill) makes sense for semi-opaque/translucent filament/colors as any trails left would show through and mar an otherwise perfect top/bottom outermost later.

An option to select either behavior might be nice.

I've seen the same behavior, and reported on it here as well a few months back.

But I've come to understand there are valid arguments for it either way:

1) Only retracting on the outermost top/bottom layer would decrease print times and make sense for highly dense filament/colors as trails left on underlying layers would not be visible.

2) Retracting on all top/bottom layers (not infill) makes sense for semi-opaque/translucent filament/colors as any trails left would show through and mar an otherwise perfect top/bottom outermost later.

An option to select either behavior might be nice.

You should right, I havn't think about this 2 points of view. And this kind of option could be nice.

While this option is not available the first way schould be the default way. I think there is more prints with dense filament than transluent, isn't it ?

The only filament color I've found so far that doesn't show anything from the underlying layer @ .2mm is Black (PLA. Never printed with ABS)

Green, Red, Gray, Gold, Brown, Blue all show through the first layer.

Of course the lighter colors really show through: Yellow, White, Pink, all the translucents, tan/skin, etc.