um3 issues - Adhesion problems with ABS

pw83

Posted (edited) · um3 issues - Adhesion problems with ABS

For the life of me, I cannot get ABS to stick on the bed of my UM3.  I've tried blue tape, ABS juice, glue stick, cleaning all the oil off the glass, etc.  It always lifts off the glass.  Temps are Cura defaults for ABS.  Using auto bed level.

Compared to the UM2+ that I had, the UM2+ printed flawlessly and consistently.  Is anyone else having this is issue or can give some insight?

The UM2+ had an enclosure over the top and a front door.  The UM3 has a front door and a 3 sided top cover--not sure if this is whats causing it but my room isn't drafty.

Edited by Guest

Posted · um3 issues - Adhesion problems with ABS

The default build plate temperature is pretty low in Cura (80c), which is probably based on Ultimaker ABS, but most likely a higher temp will help with most other ABS'es. I usually go for 95-100c. The printing temperature default can also be a bit low if you use non-ultimaker ABS.

If you use the same adhesion material as on the UM2 that should not be the issue. The only other thing I can think of is the bed leveling. Is you first layer ok?

I printed ABS on the UM3 with no issues, I do enclose the front and top of the machine.

• Like 1

I'm using the same material as I did--in fact, it's the same roll I had pulled out of the UM2+. I agree that 80c is a bit low, but with the same abs juice, I had no problem with it sticking in the um2+.

In terms of bed leveling, I had not even bothered with it since the 3 does auto leveling right? I hear the knocking sound (discussed in another thread--took me a while to discover what that sound was), which is the Z axis going up and down to compensate.

The only difference in enclosing the machine is that in my um2+ I have a full plexiglass enclosure whereas in the 3, the top is partially enclosed (front and sides). I also have a door on the 3. I'm not sure if it'll affect it that much by letting some of the air vent out the top back of the printer

My guess would be on the bed level then, did you do the bed calibration manually?

It might be a bit off maybe and the automatic levelling is not able to compensate enough?

I've printed a few ABS prints on my Ultimaker 3 and had no issues with that, i also used a door for UM2 and a top enclosure opened at the back for the bowden tubes and i had no issues (using 3dlac for adhesion and a brim also).

BTW i changed the title of the topic to be more relevant to others (UM3 issues is not really relevant ;) )

Thanks for fixing my vague title--I realized it was super vague after posting it and never got around to fix it.

Did you do any large prints on your 3? My z axis hardly moves while printing, so I don't think the bed is that off--besides it prints PLA perfectly. I suppose my next step would be to try some Ultimaker NFC ABS.