Can't run Cura after upgrade to Ubuntu 16.10

aahlborg

Posted · Can't run Cura after upgrade to Ubuntu 16.10

I'm running Cura from thopiekar's PPA and it worked fine on Ubuntu 16.04 but after an upgrade to 16.10 it crashes with a segmentation fault after showing the splash screen. I have deleted ~/.local/share/cura, ~/.cache/cura and ~/.config/cura. I have also tried to remove Cura and the PPA and install it again but I see the same problem. Is there any dependency that might be missing after the upgrade?

These are the last lines of the log:

QObject::connect: Parentheses expected, signal MainWindow::

2016-12-10 09:57:36,618 - WARNING - .../cura/Settings/ContainerManager.py (getContainerMetaDataEntry [171]): Could not get metadata of container  because it was not found.

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

@Thopiekar Do you know what might be going wrong here?

Good question. I'm using Ubuntu YakketyYak aka 16.10 on my own I never got any problems so far. The only reason I can think of is that I missed a dependency, but as far as I can see from @aahlborg terminal output I see no output that mentions a missing module or any other component.

@aahlborg: Just to be sure. You are using my stable PPA, isn't it? - https://launchpad.net/~thopiekar/+archive/ubuntu/cura

• 2 weeks later...

@aahlborg: Just to be sure. You are using my stable PPA, isn't it? - https://launchpad.net/~thopiekar/+archive/ubuntu/cura

Sorry for the slow reply.

Yes, I think so. This is my config file:

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/thopiekar-ubuntu-cura-yakkety.list

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/thopiekar/cura/ubuntu yakkety main

It was the same problem with 2.4. I'm thinking that I might have had some old Python or Qt modules from before the upgrade (the installation goes back to 15.04).

Anyway, I reinstalled Ubuntu 16.04 to solve some other issues and now it's working again.

Hey @aahlborg,

I'm glad to hear that it was at least worth to reinstall Ubuntu on your desktop.

Just let me know if there are further problems :)

Regards

@thepiekar I think he installed the previous version of Ubuntu. So I think this was not fixed by a reinstall.

Hello,

I have just install cura from your PPA with UBUNTU 16.10 and I got also an issue:

Last lines:

2017-01-14 16:38:48,707 - DEBUG - UM.Qt.Bindings.Theme.load [126]: Loading theme file: /usr/share/cura/resources/themes/cura/theme.json

2017-01-14 16:38:48,766 - DEBUG - UM.Qt.Bindings.Theme.load [186]: Loaded theme /usr/share/cura/resources/themes/cura

2017-01-14 16:38:48,827 - WARNING - cura.Settings.ContainerManager.getContainerMetaDataEntry [175]: Could not get metadata of container because it was not found.

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

It would be great if you can help, otherwise I will have to revert back to 16.04 :-(

Thanks a lot in advance

Emeric

after a update from 16.04 to 16.10 I have the same problem ;(

2017-01-20 09:28:44,655 - DEBUG - STLReader.STLReader.read [63]: Loaded a mesh with 10224 vertices

2017-01-20 09:28:45,305 - DEBUG - UM.Qt.Bindings.Theme.load [126]: Loading theme file: /usr/share/cura/resources/themes/cura/theme.json

2017-01-20 09:28:45,396 - DEBUG - UM.Qt.Bindings.Theme.load [186]: Loaded theme /usr/share/cura/resources/themes/cura

Erreur de segmentation (core dumped)

thanks in advance

regards

yan

I'm seeing the same thing on 16.10.

The crash might not be related to any of those error messages. There is a lengthy pause after the messages during which the splash screen appears and disappears before the segmentation fault.

I've posted complete command line output here:

https://gist.github.com/ianmackinnon/828bf37d5b8a2be54b6147669ce341c3

@Thopiekar, is there a complete list of dependencies somewhere so that we can be sure we're not missing anything?

Thanks