Top layers are not printed

3design

Posted · Top layers are not printed

Hi

With my last printed objects, the top layers seem to miss, i.e. instead of a continuous layer, you see the square pattern inside the object.

What might be the reason for that?

I am using an Ultimaker one and the latest Cura version.

Please have a look at the pictures added. With the icosaedron, the top layer of the biggest body is missing, with the cookie cutter, the top layer of the broader rim at the bottom.

Icosahedron

cookie cutter

Those pictures are taking too long to load. I think you posted them on a server on the moon.

From what I can see so far the yellow part agrees with your text. There is a top/bottom thickness and such that must have gotten unchecked or set to zero. I forget where it is in cura 2.3 but I've seen it - it's near settings about shell thickness.

Do you have cura 2.3.*? For UMO I recommend cura 15.04.*

I have Cura 15.04.6, and checking for update inside Cura I read that I've got the newest version.

The settings are as following:

- layer height are 0.2mm, shell thickness 0.8mm, and bottom/top thickness 0.6mm, nozzle size 0.4.

That should work, shouldn't it?

@ pictures good point, my server is on the ISS ;-)

I am quite a newbie with uploading pictures, so if you can recommend me a server on earth I'd be grateful; and, BTW, what do your mean with UMO?

To upload a photo click "image galery" icon just above your post - the second from the right icon. Then choose "upload image". This is better than hosting your own image because that way Ultimaker hosts it for decades instead of some random hosting service that may stop hosting it after a few weeks and then years from now people will come to this topic and not be able to see the image.

That was precisely the problem, thank you very much. After having done some research, I came to the same result. Ticking the "Solid infill top" box lead to a proper upper layer. Don't ask me why the box was deselected - I never changed anything.

For the sake of completeness, I add the two pictures again:

cutter.thumb.jpg.8612c1946bc1e902dfe888e0aa87f763.jpg

ico.thumb.jpg.dbbce37dcd0dbf4f3367bae8e28149d2.jpg

The lately printed object displayed a proper, closed surface. Instead I had problems with warping, but that's another story ;-)

cutter.thumb.jpg.8612c1946bc1e902dfe888e0aa87f763.jpg

ico.thumb.jpg.dbbce37dcd0dbf4f3367bae8e28149d2.jpg

Posted (edited) · Top layers are not printed

NECRO POST....

Yet, it was one of the top results in my search.         I had this problem myself.  Seems at  some point I had fiddled with infill settings.   I used the settings search line in Cura profile. Listed everything having to do with "infill".

I set "Infill Density" back to "calculated" and now my top layer is fully printed.   Version 5.2.1

Edited by emc2jcx