Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
toddwallace

Filament issues on First Print

I just started having an issue where a new print doesn't advance the filament and I have to "change filament", they reload after a print. I can run a good print and it finishes fine.. Machine cools down normally.. I then go to load a new print with same filament and the motor just grinds a grove. I have pull the filament out and cut off the portion with the grove and reload.. Then the print goes fine. I was thinking that the head doesn't heat up to temp and the motor just pushes the filament into a hot end that is not hot enough.. If I reload filament, print is great.. when I pull out the filament, the motor struggles to get the filament retracted and I have to help it by pulling.

Printer is an Ultimaker 2

filament is ESUN PLA Plus.

Print at 215 - 220 temp and Bed Temp at 67.

This was printing fine before and have tried to adust the tension. I have also releveled the bed.

Thoughts??

Is your bowden tube seated all the way into your PTFE coupler?

Bowden_Seating.thumb.png.87d5ed70bac27eacb28c13da77a80261.png

Is your bowden tube the right way around? I've seen filament get stuck if the feeder end is in the printhead. This photo is the end that should be in your feeder.

IMG_5230.thumb.JPG.e31f943f309ea098d59a2194df2f8136.JPG

How many print hours are on the printer? It may be time to change out the coupler. I've got pictures of a new coupler and deformed couplers side by side.

IMG_3742.thumb.jpg.1c2aeb4b1171b3b06ab3018c1e7fdd30.jpg

Bowden_Seating.thumb.png.87d5ed70bac27eacb28c13da77a80261.png

IMG_5230.thumb.JPG.e31f943f309ea098d59a2194df2f8136.JPG

IMG_3742.thumb.jpg.1c2aeb4b1171b3b06ab3018c1e7fdd30.jpg