Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
choco

Has anyone tried using FR-4 perfboard as a bed?

Hi,

I was reviewing the Make: Ultimate Guide to 3D Printers and noted something novel in the Afinia H-Series. I'll quote

Also provided are a set of FR-4 perf boards for the print surface that offered surprisingly successful printing adhesion, and could be cleaned easily using the included tools to push plastic up through the holes

I was wondering if anyone has tried this with their Ultimaker? I'm constantly dealing with failed prints due to either poor adhesion (because I start the hotend too high) or ripped blue tape and hours of scraping PLA off the bed (because I start it too low) ... hence my interest in this option.

Choco.

FR-4 and its predecessor, G10, can be very flat. They are used in printed circuit boards (PCBs) and, yes, there are many heated beds that use a PCB with copper traces as the heating elements.

Personally, I'd prefer not to have the hole pattern on the bottom skin of all my prints and would opt for a solid board. At one point, I considered using a thick piece of G10 instead of the MIC-6 tooling aluminum I'm now using. Aluminum conducts heat better (faster warm-up from my underlying silicone mat heater).