Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
N-DeeNL

Ultimaker Original - Shifting & hard to move head

I got my Ultimaker Original last week, bought it off someone who already assembled it. When i picked it up it couldn't do a home command, making a lot of noise and the head could not reach the end stops.  I cleaned the smooth rods and applied Unilube (this one).

I was able to print a robot and do 2 print jobs (10hrs and 5hrs) but today i had my first print job that i had to cancel due to shifting layers in the X direction;

20170117_083053.thumb.jpg.689ca3a5659951bd305eddc7eb51714e.jpg

I also noticed the motors getting to hot to touch, maybe because the head is so tough to move? On my steel Prusa i3 i can move the head with my pinky, if i try this on my ultimaker it just moves the entire printer..

Also i got some play/movement in the smooth rods themselves, i can move them a couple of mm (doesn't happen during print, needs a little force). The x rod in the front has no play.

Fixes i was thinking of;

* Printing out the new end caps with spacers

* See how head movement is without the belts, maybe i need new rods

* Tighten the pulleys - very tight;

file-HIpXQQRZe7.jpg.8a29ef91fe1ee7a0c447fc62553f5f29.jpg

Is there something else i should try to get it running smooth?

20170117_083053.thumb.jpg.689ca3a5659951bd305eddc7eb51714e.jpg

file-HIpXQQRZe7.jpg.8a29ef91fe1ee7a0c447fc62553f5f29.jpg

Edited by Guest

Did your printer come with the calibration sticks? These are two wood parts with a hook on one end and notches on the other that are used to make sure the x and y axes are square. You can see how to use them in the UMO/UMO+ assembly manual.

Once the axes are adjusted, make sure all the pulley setscrews are really tight. Also make sure the pulleys on the x and y motor shafts are tight. You will probably need to remove the motors to access those setscrews.

The print head should be able to move smoothly, but with some resistance, diagonally. I don't think I can move mine easily with my pinky, but my index finger could do it.

Thanks for the suggestions, just to let you guys know i haven't abandoned the topic, ive printed the open end caps and spacers. And plan to install the twister blocks while im at it.

Will post an update when i had a moment to install it, hopefully it solved the issue by putting these parts on it and reassembling the printer :)