Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Ultimaker Original - Shifting & hard to move head

Recommended Posts

I got my Ultimaker Original last week, bought it off someone who already assembled it. When i picked it up it couldn't do a home command, making a lot of noise and the head could not reach the end stops.  I cleaned the smooth rods and applied Unilube (this one).

I was able to print a robot and do 2 print jobs (10hrs and 5hrs) but today i had my first print job that i had to cancel due to shifting layers in the X direction;


I also noticed the motors getting to hot to touch, maybe because the head is so tough to move? On my steel Prusa i3 i can move the head with my pinky, if i try this on my ultimaker it just moves the entire printer..

Also i got some play/movement in the smooth rods themselves, i can move them a couple of mm (doesn't happen during print, needs a little force). The x rod in the front has no play.

Fixes i was thinking of;

* Printing out the new end caps with spacers

* See how head movement is without the belts, maybe i need new rods

* Tighten the pulleys - very tight;


Is there something else i should try to get it running smooth?



Edited by Guest

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did your printer come with the calibration sticks? These are two wood parts with a hook on one end and notches on the other that are used to make sure the x and y axes are square. You can see how to use them in the UMO/UMO+ assembly manual.

Once the axes are adjusted, make sure all the pulley setscrews are really tight. Also make sure the pulleys on the x and y motor shafts are tight. You will probably need to remove the motors to access those setscrews.

The print head should be able to move smoothly, but with some resistance, diagonally. I don't think I can move mine easily with my pinky, but my index finger could do it.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the suggestions, just to let you guys know i haven't abandoned the topic, ive printed the open end caps and spacers. And plan to install the twister blocks while im at it.

Will post an update when i had a moment to install it, hopefully it solved the issue by putting these parts on it and reassembling the printer :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura | a new interface
      We're not only trying to always make Ultimaker Cura better with the usual new features and improvements we build, but we're also trying to make it more pleasant to operate. The interface was the focus for the upcoming release, from which we would already like to present you the first glance. 
        • Like
      • 79 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!