Why do newer versions of Cura (i.e. 2.3.0) have prints that take so much longer than older versions of Cura (i.e. 15.04.05)?

MatthewMoolean

Posted · Why do newer versions of Cura (i.e. 2.3.0) have prints that take so much longer than older versions of Cura (i.e. 15.04.05)?

The title describes it all, although I'll explain a bit what I mean. For example, I have a piece I want to print that's about 90 x 40 x 40 mm and in Cura version 15.04.05, it'll only take about two hours. However, if I put it in Cura 2.3.0 (at the same settings as far as I can tell), it seems like it will take about 3.5 hours. Is there a drastic difference in the slicer that does that? It just seems strange to me, considering my settings look identical in both programs.

Posted · Why do newer versions of Cura (i.e. 2.3.0) have prints that take so much longer than older versions of Cura (i.e. 15.04.05)?

Not sure which printer you are using, so this may not apply, but:

Have you compared your printer's Jerk and Acceleration settings vs. Cura's ?

These can make a big difference in print times if they are off.

Cura 15 did not have a way to set these in the software, so it used your printer's defaults.

Cura 2 now has setting (may be hidden) that can override your printers Jerk and Acceleration.

You can find these under the 'Speed' settings on the right. If they are not visible, hover over the 'Speed' drop-down and click on the magically appearing Gear, then check all the Jerk and Acceleration setting in the list box.

I noticed Cura being slow compared to other printers using S3D. Almost doubly so. Took me a while to realize when setting print speed with my profiles, looks like it was only setting Infill speed and the wall, top/bottom speeds where super slow. Once i unhid all of the wall and top/bottom and started to set those accordingly, the time started to become comparable. Took me a while to realize that, not sure if its just the way i am doing profiles or intended.

Not sure if that is the reason for you but might be something to check.