PolySmooth? any experience?

Edel

Posted · PolySmooth? any experience?

thank you, but a very worse video, i watched now 17minutens and .... :(

It all depends on your expectations. It's good for me, but because my standards are low in terms of final quality.

Printing with ABS and smoothing with acetone is the less expensive alternative, although it means a messy workspace as it's a DIY approach.

thank you, but a very worse video, i watched now 17minutens and .... :(

It all depends on your expectations. It's good for me, but because my standards are low in terms of final quality.

Printing with ABS and smoothing with acetone is the less expensive alternative, although it means a messy workspace as it's a DIY approach.

I've come up with a DIY solution that is not so messy. Take a look here:

https://hackaday.io/project/20967-diy-polishing-station-for-3d-printed-parts

My DIY smoothing station works on Polysmooth and I think should work with acetone too.

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · PolySmooth? any experience?

Will have to try mine on... was suppose to arrive in September. Arrived today, May 5th... 2017. lol

That's the reason why I just made a makeshift Polysher. We are moving to a different country and was afraid that I would miss the delivery so I did not pre-order. My makeshift one does the job anyway and is able to smoothen out Polysmooth prints which I'm really impressed with the surface quality once it's polished.  This is now my go-to filament whenever I need smooth finished parts.

Edited by Guest

Will have to try mine on... was suppose to arrive in September. Arrived today, May 5th... 2017. lol

i got here a filament sample. and it works great... but polysher is not here in germany available :(

That's the reason why I just made a makeshift Polysher. We are moving to a different country and was afraid that I would miss the delivery so I did not pre-order. My makeshift one does the job anyway and is able to smoothen out Polysmooth prints which I'm really impressed with the surface quality once it's polished.  This is now my go-to filament whenever I need smooth finished parts.

if i use google to find this "makeshift Polysher" can you please give me more details

if i use google to find this "makeshift Polysher" can you please give me more details

I've posted the project in two (2) places:

https://hackaday.io/project/20967-diy-polishing-station-for-3d-printed-parts

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2219628

I might start a dedicated thread if there's enough interest.

• Like 1

Great project!!

Is on my list, wanted to buy the (expensive) machine, but after seeing this, i will calculate the cost, and evaluate then ;-)

really nice, but for me as person with no electric back ground, no idea how i shall do that,!

positiv is, that you can make a polysher like the hole building plate size!!!

Great project!!

Is on my list, wanted to buy the (expensive) machine, but after seeing this, i will calculate the cost, and evaluate then ;-)

With 1/4 the price of the machine, this one's definitely cheaper! I have the BOM posted on the project site so anyone can source out the individual components.

really nice, but for me as person with no electric back ground, no idea how i shall do that,!

Just some basic soldering will do. Besides, there's always a first time for everything! :)

Btw, I went ahead and started a topic dedicated to the project.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/49187-diy-polishing-station

Edited by Guest

Great project!!

With 1/4 the price of the machine, this one's definitely cheaper! I have the BOM posted on the project site so anyone can source out the individual components.

Just some basic soldering will do. Besides, there's always a first time for everything! :)

do you see any problem in make it large as the ultimaker building plate with z 200mm?

also the probem that i m in germany and all parts a not here...

then the question to ethanol 70% ? why? polymaker worte me, ethanol or isopropanal are the same, but i should go over 95%.... so i odert 99,9% isopropanol here

do you see any problem in make. it large as the ultimaker building plate with z 200mm?

Maximum size possible is 6"x6"x7" (LxWxH) as you need to allow some space between the part for the mist to travel around the chamber.

also the probem that i m in germany and all parts a not here...

I source out the parts from China:

www.banggood.com

then the question to ethanol 70% ? why? polymaker worte me, ethanol or isopropanal are the same, but i should go over 95%.... so i odert 99,9% isopropanol here

The only difference I see between isopropyl and ethanol is the latter smells better. I tried both as well as 70% and 91% and they both work fine. The advantage with 90% and above is that it polishes faster than 70%, i.e., 40mins vs. 60mins.

Great project!!

I found your BOM, and all the links. But, being in Europe, it is not so simple, we need to add a lot of shipping costs (not from banggood, usualy free shipping, but from amazon, they are expensive in shipping)

Still some work to do before i have a correct price ;-)

Just to show how polished one can achieve using Polysmooth...

Pokeball before and after polishing:

5a333a4715f98_pokeballbeforeafter.thumb.jpg.52d29a1d086e82dea65569a9e01a0a5d.jpg

To show how reflective the polished finish is, I've taken a picture of the same pokeball beside a dual-colored traffic cone and some nuts and bolts. One can clearly see the nut in the reflection.

5a333a4761c17_pokeballreflection.thumb.jpg.ff42114b9b4cd375fb59cac6ff274501.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Maximum size possible is 6"x6"x7" (LxWxH) as you need to allow some space between the part for the mist to travel around the chamber.

this i dont understand, why? 6"? with high pump or so it should be possible to cover a bigger box, to put in maximum buildingsize projekts.?

Just to show how polished one can achieve using Polysmooth...

Pokeball before and after polishing:

5a333a4715f98_pokeballbeforeafter.thumb.jpg.52d29a1d086e82dea65569a9e01a0a5d.jpg

To show how reflective the polished finish is, I've taken a picture of the same pokeball beside a dual-colored traffic cone and some nuts and bolts. One can clearly see the nut in the reflection.

5a333a4761c17_pokeballreflection.thumb.jpg.ff42114b9b4cd375fb59cac6ff274501.jpg

nice, but i looks on last pic, as it has a orange peel skin now...

where did you get all the polysmooth filament in the moment, is this available in usa?

Picked up the machines... turns out i ordered 2 and a dozen rolls of filaments LOL!

If anyone want one machine and a few rolls let me know. I'm in the USA so shipping within the USA wouldn't be much.

Shoot me a PM, i only opened (and am using) 1 machine and so far great results. So the other one is brand new.

• Like 1

So how long let you dry the parts out of the polisher?

I only test in the moment with the black filament and 20,30 and 40 minutes to find the correct and best settings

Since 6hours the parts are out of the polisher and still so soft that I can with my fingernail press in and damage it....

I wait 2-3 hours for them to dry. I usually leave them in otherwise all kind of crap goes on it and gets stuck to it.

For polishing i found that 15-20 mins is more than enough for parts with small details. 25-35 mins for larger/less detail parts.

TBH while the parts are very smooth, they don't look that good (since you can still see layers, but not feel them) until they get painted. Since we tend to filler prime + paint anyway... it's not that useful.

They also claim you can use PVA supports with polysmooth. I tried and tried and tried... and gotten poor results.

Edited by Guest

Ok i understand, but here its not working with the black filament.

Which color do you use?

but my parts are not even in 2 days now hard, as they where...

look the scratch test with my finger nail....

my secound problem is, that is not smooth and also new cracks come out

i made now chronological the hole process

1. the part which is sand down...

2. Wet Part with the new cracks...

3. Dry part, but not hard, its not smooth like my other aceton bath....

and all the new cracks?!?!

do i have wrong isopropanol 99.9% ?

I used black, dried in a few hours.

Same with white.

I use 91% isopropanol.

Edited by Guest

I used black, dried in a few hours.

Same with white.

I use 91% isopropanol.

so you dont have it, like my frist video with the scratch test?

then maybe the isopropanol is wrong what i use...

whats your meaning about the smoothing process in my video?