Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
eric-lester

Where to Start in Writing G Code for UM2+?

I'm working on a project by which I construct single line drawings from a set of points (here's an example). This project is being coded in Python, and given that the program considers the coordinates of each point in its operation, I was thinking about translating these coordinates into g code instructions for my Ultimaker 2+ (upgraded from the original UM2) so that I could print the drawing as one continuous line! However, I do not really understand g code or how to write it. Are there any good tutorials out there for where to start on how to edit and write g code? I obviously don't want to mess this up as it could destroy my printer...

Any help is appreciated!

I think this is a decent reference (look at Marlin when checking for Ultimaker):

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code

I find it also helpful to take a simple object through a slicer and look at the g-code it outputs.

Also what is nice to know is that X0 Y0 Z0 is the location in the left front corner, at the height you set when leveling build plate.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

I used that reprap link to learn gcode too. That combined with reading gcode files generate from Cura let me learn enough to write a Cura plugin. :)

It is also worth remembering that there are differences between UltiGCode flavour and RepRap-style flavour of gcode. Cura 2.3.x and below on UM2(+) defaults to UltiGCode. But with Cura 2.4 and on things are changing more and more (back) to RepRap-style. I do not know what the default it. And I do not know what UM3 defaults to. But it can matter when learning/creating gcode.

Anyway, hope this helps. :)

• Like 1

Well, I would expect that your printer accepts both. But it is a question of which Cura generates.

What it means for gcode is that some commands are different in each flavour. If you go searching for a command and it is not there because the flavour is different, then you might be confused. UltiGcode my use a G command for some task, but Rep-Rap might use an E command for the same task, for example.

Think British and American English. Mostly the same, but some words are spelled differently and sometimes there are different words for the same concept. :)

I am not expert on this stuff. I am still learning myself. :)

Anyway, hope this helps.

Oh, so the difference is that with UltiGCode, the printer handles the material choice and temperature settings, for example. With Rep-Rap style, you have to tell Cura all that and the printer just blindly follows what is in the gcode.

The idea with the UltiGCode is that you could change materials and/or temperature settings on the printer and keep the same gcode to reuse over and over. With Rep-Rap, you have to re-slice your model for every change.

But now, with Cura getting smarter about controlling temperature, with multiple nozzles, different nozzle sizes and with the growing number of new fancy materials, it is becoming unwieldy to keep using UltiGCode. So the move now is back to the older Rep-Rap style like all other 3D Printers in the world.

Or at least, that is my understanding. I could be wrong about the motivations.

Hope it helps. :)