Increase auto-logout time to 1h, or user-adjustable?

geert_2

Posted · Increase auto-logout time to 1h, or user-adjustable?

Hoi Sander & co,

Could you increase the auto-logout time of the forum? Now it regularly happens that I get logged-out and lose a reply that I have been typing. Especially when in-between I had to look up something, or had to service my printer for a few minutes.

I would suggest a logout-time of minimum 1 hour. Or better: make it user-adjustable if possible, with settings between 15 minutes minimum and 12 hours maximum, or so? This would make it much more comfortable.

Hi Geert,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I'm sorry to hear you have lost some lengthy replies. Hopefully it has not been too much of an inconvenience.

I will have to double check with the developers, but it was my impression that there was no auto log-out shorter than an hour. Do you have any settings in your browser that remove cookies? Do you have 'remind me' enabled when logging in?

Do you have several tabs open and you are posting in a previous opened tab? When I do this, sometimes when I press send my reply is not posted. It is also not lost though. The page refreshes and I can press send again.

Do you think you can document your workflow, that could allow us to replicate your logging out issue, and maybe we can find a bug or help you in your process?

I use Pale Moon 26.0.0 as browser. This is a Firefox-derivation that kept the classic menu bar and status bar. No add-ons. Operating system: Windows 7 professional, English.

After logging-in, I usually open several tabs by middle clicking on interesting topic titles in the forum list. And then I open each tab and read the topic.

Before I begin reading a topic or typing a reply, I reload the current tab to avoid this auto-logout (which is a bit inconvenient by itself). But sometimes that obviously doesn't work.

I haven't timed how long it takes before I get logged-out. It feels like 20 minutes, but time goes fast when doing things, so it could be more.

I don't have remind-me enabled.

If I remember well, there was another user recently who also complained about the auto-logout, so it seems I am not the only one.