Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Meulenel

Underextrusion half way there?

ultimakerissue(extrusion).thumb.jpg.0e4f4ef6754a4b7d280bfbf280c20fd9.jpg

Hello,

I own an Ultimaker Original + (with UM2 upgrade) and having problems printing with GNEN (and sometime PLA as well). Especially while printing larger objects the printer seems to underextrude at random. It happens at random on several layers and then it seems to print Ok again on some layers and so on. You can see what it looks like on the picture.

I've tried changing all sorts of settings like temperature, cell thickness, speed and fan settings.

Already replaced the teflon tube twices. This is still happening. I am using simplify3D and CURA. Happens with both slicers.

Does anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Stupid question maybe... but it got worse after I moved some stuff in the studie and put the printer in another place. Could it be some wind(draft)?

ultimakerissue(extrusion).thumb.jpg.0e4f4ef6754a4b7d280bfbf280c20fd9.jpg

Hi @Meulenel, welcome to the forums and thank you for your post.

Given the Ultimaker Original has an open frame, it could be something like draft.

This can be easily tested though, by shielding your machine with some cardboards or even covering it with a plastic bag (like a garbage bag maybe?)

You don't have to leave it on there forever, but it could give you some more insights in isolating the problem.

Do you have a photo of your Ultimaker Original? What parts exactly did you upgrade to an Ultimaker 2?

I am also curious to see what your hot end looks like, perhaps your fan could be cooling the heaterblock.

Have you tried this with a variety of colors, do all of them give you similar problems?

Looking forward hearing from you, thank you!

I have a similar problem. My Ultimaker Original+ has been fine, printing for months now, until suddenly it started this "random" underextrusion. Changing filament, nozzle temp, print speed, all didn't help. But I found the root cause just now. While staring into the feeder mechanism with a flashlight while it printed slowly, I saw 6 teeth on the large gear were worn down! I have a picture if that's important, showing the white wood where the black paint is worn off the gear teeth. I successfully printed a part by standing there with my flashlight, and every 360 degree turn, I helped the gear through the stripped section.

Now that I know the root cause, what is the solution? Is there a metal replacement gear? Don't say I need a whole new feeder unit, please!