Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
can

Weird print head move & noise

Hi,

I have an Ultimaker 2 and it's getting old :(The print head has got a weird motion; while printing suddenly it speeds up for 3-4 seconds, and then goes back to normal as if there's a spring which releases it's tension suddenly.. Anyone has a similar problem before .?? And the noise from the Y axis, I think it comes from the ball bearing.. I need to change some parts probably but I want to be sure about this..!

The first video is mostly about the weird movement (0:44 through 0:52 for example), and the second is for the noise... But you can see both problems on both videos actually

Edited by Guest

I didn't think of a stepper motor problem.. That's much more serious than I thought if tah's the case :( But how I can make sure that's the problem, and ideas ?? I'll order some parts (including olsson block and stuff) and want to solve this problem while upgrading my machine..

The print quality isn't too bad though but looks like it will get worse and worse

Thanks for the feedback

If your bearings are indeed making that grinding sound like they're lubricated with gravel, stop printing immediately and replace them before you end up needing new rods as well. The whole thing might well be caused by a bearing that refuses to slide like it's supposed to.

Sounds like a bad bearing indeed. But I'm not that so worried as SyntaxTerror. As this is most likely one of the "corner" bearing. The rods are pretty much impossible to damage.

Try to listen from which corner the sound comes from. That should narrow it down to 2 bearings.

Sounds like a bad bearing indeed. But I'm not that so worried as SyntaxTerror. As this is most likely one of the "corner" bearing. The rods are pretty much impossible to damage.

Try to listen from which corner the sound comes from. That should narrow it down to 2 bearings.

Well I like to err on the side of caution :)

Thanks for the replies.. I'll change the bearings, hope it'll also fix the weird movement of the print head.. If that's not the case, well, then we'll see what we can do next:)

In the meantime if you have any other opinions about the subject (the print head movement thing), please do inform me.. !!

Thanks again