Install Cura 2.4 on Suse 42.2?

mprowe

Posted · Install Cura 2.4 on Suse 42.2?

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum! :)

I used be on openSuSE. I really liked it!

Taking a quick look in OBS, I do not see that anyone has built a 2.4 yet. There was a 2.3.1 in there, so you do not have to be at 14 or 15 anymore. :)

But also, with Cura 2.4 on Linux, Ultimaker has switched to a different "universal" package system. So, you might try downloading that from the Ultimaker website and give that a go using the instructions/conventions of the new package.

Alternatively, maybe you want to be the first on OBS to make a 2.4 build? :)

Maybe others here can comment. I have not been on Suse for a few years now so I am out of the loop.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck!

So, you might try downloading that from the Ultimaker website and give that a go using the instructions/conventions of the new package.

Hi Krys,

And that is just my problem. I have download 2.4 but there are no instructions that I can find - either on the web site or within the package.

I am not familiar with "AppImage" distribution, so I threw it at an unzipper. Which unziped the file but I know not how to install it!

If AppImage is a new distribution technology, I would have hoped that Ultimaker would have taken a few sentences to introduce us to it?

I have even been even more reckless and tried to execute the download file (without unzipping) in a sacrificial VM. Want to see the error log? its 22kb!

Regards, Martin

• Like 1

Yeah, I was confused about it too. It seems AppImage is a thing. You can find more info here:

http://appimage.org/

But I have not actually played with it directly yet. I am still on 2.3.1 for now. I have to upgrade my Ubuntu before I can use 2.4, so I have put it off for a while. :(

I agree though that Ultimaker should write some words and make them prominently visible for the AppImage Linux install. AppImage is (to me anyway) a new and weird and non-standard way to install software on Linux. So, I would expect that the majority of Linux people have no clue what the heck AppImage is. That puts the burden on Ultimaker, IMHO, to be the teacher and explaing this new (and wonderful?) way of installing things.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck! :)

well I just made the Cura-2.4.0.AppImage executable with

chmod u+x Cura-2.4.0.AppImage

then run it as

./Cura-2.4.0.AppImage

Hi Kenjo,

Thank you for the information. Yes, as I pointed out above, I have also run it.

Although, having spent a career in the military aircraft industry, I am very wary of pressing any button unless I know the resulting action - It just may be the ejector seat!

So, I ran it on a VM:

~./Cura-2.4.0.AppImage-Install > Cura-2.4.0.AppImage-Install.log

This has generated a 22Kb log file. What do all the Warnings and errors mean?

I'm new to this forum, so I can't find a way of uploading my file. Can you replicate? My log file begins and ends like this:

Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix elementFontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix elementFontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected numberFontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 62: bad aliasFontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 70: bad aliasFontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 78: bad aliasFontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 86: bad alias...bulk of file removed to save space......../bin//cura.sh: line 11:  2046 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) cura $@

My guess is that "Core dumped" is not good?

Regards, Martin

no that is not good. its also impossible to tell what is wrong as that segfault at the end is actually a programming error so you have to use a debugger to make any sens out of it.