CURA 2.31 can't remember machines (most of the time) why is that?

peetersm

Posted (edited) · CURA 2.31 can't remember machines (most of the time) why is that?

I've been having a lot of issues with Cura 2.x on win7. Mostly 99% of the time cura will not remember my machines and I have to re-add them every single time I re-open cura. This morning I open cura 2.3.1 and it actually remembered my printer! I closed cura and re-opened and of course it forgot it again. I have saved the data in cura.log from both of these start ups and am comparing the files with notepad++ and here are some of the differences

--when it found the printer--

WARNING - D:\2.3\build\inst\lib\python3.4\site-packages\UM\Settings\ContainerRegistry.py (addContainer [256]): Container of type  and id Ultimaker Original+_current_settings already added

--when it could not find the printer--

DEBUG - D:\2.3\build\inst\lib\python3.4\site-packages\UM\Settings\ContainerStack.py (deserialize [235]): While deserializing, we got the following container string: Ultimaker Original+_current_settings,ultimaker_original_plus_0.1mm, wall 1.2, infill 0, mark,normal,generic_pla #2,Ultimaker Original+_variant,ultimaker_original_plus,---ERROR - D:\2.3\build\inst\lib\python3.4\site-packages\UM\Logger.py (logException [53]): Exception: Could not deserialize container Ultimaker Original+---ERROR - D:\2.3\build\inst\lib\python3.4\site-packages\UM\Logger.py (logException [53]): Traceback (most recent call last):---ERROR - D:\2.3\build\inst\lib\python3.4\site-"packages\UM\Logger.py (logException [53]):   File ""D:\2.3\build\inst\lib\python3.4\site"-"packages\UM\Settings\ContainerRegistry.py"", line 245, in load"--ERROR - D:\2.3\build\inst\lib\python3.4\site-"packages\UM\Logger.py (logException [53]):   File ""D:\2.3\build\inst\lib\python3.4\site"-"packages\UM\Settings\ContainerStack.py"", line 262, in deserialize"--ERROR - D:\2.3\build\inst\lib\python3.4\site-packages\UM\Logger.py (logException [53]): Exception: When trying to deserialize Ultimaker Original+, we received an unknown ID (ultimaker_original_plus_0.1mm) for container---

Of course there are some other differences in these files, but I think these are the most significant. .

both full log files can be found here (with time stamps removed so you can use compare to see difference)

Edited by Guest

Posted · CURA 2.31 can't remember machines (most of the time) why is that?

Have you edited/added any *.def.json files? Cura seems to be looking for a ultimaker_original_plus_0.1mm.def.json, which is not a standard definition file. You may want to share that too.

Have you edited/added any *.def.json files? Cura seems to be looking for a ultimaker_original_plus_0.1mm.def.json, which is not a standard definition file. You may want to share that too.

No I have not. I have only added printers through the normal front end interface.

UPDATE-

I repeated the "clean install" process one more time.

--------clean install as I currently understand it---------------------

1. uninstall all previous versions of cura 2.x using the uninstall.exe file in the C:\Program Files\Cura 2.x folder

2. delete (or rename/remove) this folder *username* \AppData\Local\cura

3. Install the new version.

------------------

AND I'm on my second day of cura remembering the printers, even after reboots. Hopefully the 3rd time is the charm and what ever was wrong with the installation is now fixed.

Ah, I think I see what was going on. You created a profile with a comma in its name. Cura 2.3 had a bug with profiles or machines with a comma in the name.

Ah, I think I see what was going on. You created a profile with a comma in its name. Cura 2.3 had a bug with profiles or machines with a comma in the name.

Oh, good eyes. I did not know that was not a character that was allowed. I will keep this in mind when making new machine profiles.

Are you aware of any other characters I should avoid? Like slash / or period . Or colon :

I could see if this becomes the file name those might cause issues.

Are you aware of any other characters I should avoid? Like slash / or period . Or colon : I could see if this becomes the file name those might cause issues.

You could give the dev team a hand and test ;-) (create a backup of your configuration folder if you do). The comma-thing has been resolved in Cura 2.4, I am not aware of any other special cases that were not already caught (but I have not tested this thoroughly myself)

Posted (edited) · CURA 2.31 can't remember machines (most of the time) why is that?

So far looks like the solution was:

1. Do a third "clean install" - not sure why the first 2 did not work.

2. The old printer it was pulling in had a printing profile associated with it that contained a comma in the name, which breaks cura 2.3 and that is why the machine failed to load almost every time.

Thanks @ahoeben for seeing the printing profile issue in the logs!

Edited by Guest