Just another startup MAXTEMP error...

twipwip

Posted · Just another startup MAXTEMP error...

So I just finished my ultimater and got the infamous "Recv: Error:0 Recv: : Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !" error. I've tried switching around the yellow and red wire and making sure that everything was tightly connected, but I'm still getting this error.

One thing I tried was to measure the voltage between the two wires after turning on the machine. It seems like I'm not getting any voltage, even though it seems everything is plugged in (except for the two yellow and red wires). Is this normal?

This is driving me crazy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Uhm. Not strange at all. It's on the UltiController if you have one.

Else, you need the error log, because the temperature is reported in the log. But I think the first-run-wizard does not allow you to access the log, so you need to use the normal printing window (which will throw the exact same error)

Hi,

This is the error log:

Changing monitoring state from 'Offline' to 'Detecting serial port'

Serial port list: [u'COM4']

Connecting to: COM4

Connected to: Serial<id=0x33e8e30, open=True>(port='COM4', baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=1, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor

Changing monitoring state from 'Detecting serial port' to 'Detecting baudrate'

Recv: ?np|n?6Ba8fVHj?H|Hn8]?&6dm?(M?

Recv: =?j??Jl?JElz?K%ai?&_><y?6O?n6|H~?^?K5?]}?-?w??%)P<?+MJo6?F??H3H6F?J?JLG?LOH?Y??j?:&(/^

Recv: *'J?Z?z?J?z?J?J?{?8?:f??$P|?%?%?%H%?X??k

Recv: ??+^^IJO.X?^X?J?j?aHJ?aHJ|@_a?&&??$MMvl* $

^kJ?6

Recv: I?XH^??&H?h*I?&n^L*x?

Recv: ?Zb?Jj?J?(J?(j??

Recv: g

Recv: JOV?F?

Recv: H??J??-?*?n?8O]?6?kNm./h?/^fNN^?>?Hx?^H&NN6a?-HHw&4?a?Hw/BOvj}aJ?N6??

Trying baudrate: 250000

Send: M105

Recv: echo:SD init fail

Recv: echo:Unknown command:""

Recv: ok

Recv: ok T:386.2 /0.0 B:0.0 /0.0 @:0

Baudrate test ok: 1

Baudrate test ok: 2

Baudrate test ok: 3

Baudrate test ok: 4

Baudrate test ok: 5

Baudrate test ok: 6

Baudrate test ok: 7

Baudrate test ok: 8

Baudrate test ok: 9

Send: M999

Changing monitoring state from 'Detecting baudrate' to 'Operational'

Recv: Resend:1

Recv: Error:0

Recv: : Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !

Changing monitoring state from 'Operational' to 'Error: 0: Extruder switched...'

Recv: Error:Printer stopped deu to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart!. (Temperature is reset. Set it before restarting)

When the red and yellow wires are connected, (with both the red on the left or right), the temp reads as 386

When the red and yellow entirely disconnected, the temp is read as 382

It seems that being plugged in does make a difference, as this 4 degree difference is consistent.

It's reporting "Recv: ok T:386.2 /0.0 B:0.0 /0.0 @:0"

Which means it sees 386.2C, which is pretty much in the impossible range and happens when the themocouple board is not read properly. This problem usually is in the 3 wire signal cable, you could try the other 3 wire connector to see if that one works. (you need to switch it around on the top of the head and the bottom of the printer)

I'm having a heck of a time trying to remove the top 3-pin. With the amount of force I'm exerting, I'm afraid of breaking it. Is there some trick to removing it that I don't know about?

Wait, got it. Awesome, now it's reading 15.

EDIT: to specify, I switched out the yellow/black/red wire with the green/orange/brown wire at the bottom (switch TEMP1 and TEMP2) and also switched out the 3-pin at the top. This allowed the temperature readings to take place.

And now I've encountered another startup error, but I'll make a new post for it, as it is a different problem.

Thanks Daid.

Hi guys!

I have printed a lot of things with the Ultimaker but since a couple of months it has started to give me troubles. This famous "max temp reached" damn problem!!

I sent a help request to the ultimaker support. Results? a lot of "try this" and "try that" type-emails going back and forth. The last one saying "if you had the ulticontroller instead of using your PC to print you would not have this problem" was the last nail in the coffin! :shock:

If something does not work the way it is, why should I buy more things? c'mon...

Aaaaand just yesterday, before finding this forum, I even saw a page where a guy was describing the same problem on the Ultimaker even using a Ulticontroller.... :mad: :mad:

It is weird that the printer gets stuck only in the first layers, the bottom parts, probably cause the fan is off and the temperature gets a little higher? I dunno...

Anyhow after having disconnected and connected all cables and connectors on the board at least 20 times I decided to dismantle the board and solder all the joints.

And finally... FINALLY IT IS WORKING AGAIN !!! :D:D:D

Even though the joints seemed to be good (I am pretty expert about soldering) probably the vibrations had made one "loosen" and it was not easy to see it.

I soldered all the contacts on the Arduino board (soldering side only) and the Ultimaker board (same thing, only the bottom side).

I really hope that this can be useful ! :-P :-P