"ERROR - STOPPED Temp Sensor"

zephirl

Posted (edited) · "ERROR - STOPPED Temp Sensor"

Hello,

I just unscrewed the 4 screws to access to the extruder, in order to insert filament manually when the nozzle is blocked (which I need to do regularly) and today after having turned on the 3d printer and inserted filament in it manually (until this point everything is alright), I screwed up the screws but apparently a cable would block the rear fan from turning for 3 seconds and then the printer stopped and showed me this message (see photo).

5a33287ac3699_Photo1.thumb.jpg.4d44f20fbf38f58241fcfe78b4c0d6d3.jpg

I therefore release the cables (they were not damaged) which touched a little the fan, and I restarted the printer. The error message remained but the fan resumed turning.

I looked at a few forums and decided to do what they told me.

1) First I inspect the 'cable' responsible for the temp sensor without seeing any significant damage (see photos).

5a33287af19af_photo2.thumb.JPG.2a2cbfb6b2ac8812163fbd8ba7b2bf5a.JPG 5a33287b2dff8_Photo3.thumb.JPG.301b9179be9576bf392d1902dd62d4f4.JPG

2) Then I removed the metal plate underneath the 3d printer and checked that the cable was well connected, which was the case (see photo).

5a33287b85b43_Photo4.thumb.JPG.8452e2430b980182d019ec661c52c483.JPG

I then did several tests that indicated the ultimaker site, here are the results:

[Note: cable 1 refers to the cable connected to the temperature sensor of the heating head and cable 2 to the temperature sensor of the heating buildplate)

It displays "ERROR - STOPPED TEMP SENSOR" when:

- The cables 1 and 2 are plugged in their initial plugs (cable 1 in TEMP1 and cable 2 in TEMP3)

- Only cable 1 is plugged (to TEMP 1)

- Only cable 1 is plugged (to TEMP 3)

- Only cable 2 is plugged  (to TEMP 3)

- When no cables are plugged

It displays show "ERROR - STOPPED TEMP SENSOR BED" when:

- The cables 1 and 2 are in opposite plugs (cable 1 for TEMP3 and cable 2 for TEMP1)

- Only cable 2 is plugged (at TEMP 1)

-> When cable 2 is plugged to TEMP 1

Is there a way to correct this error, at least in the short term, since I have to print something for Wednesday?

Thank you for your reply,

Zephir Lorne

5a33287ac3699_Photo1.thumb.jpg.4d44f20fbf38f58241fcfe78b4c0d6d3.jpg

5a33287af19af_photo2.thumb.JPG.2a2cbfb6b2ac8812163fbd8ba7b2bf5a.JPG

5a33287b2dff8_Photo3.thumb.JPG.301b9179be9576bf392d1902dd62d4f4.JPG

5a33287b85b43_Photo4.thumb.JPG.8452e2430b980182d019ec661c52c483.JPG

Edited by Guest

Posted · "ERROR - STOPPED Temp Sensor"

Hi Zephir,

The printer will throw an error if nothing is plugged into either TEMP1 or TEMP3. If the error changes from "temp sensor" to "bed sensor" after switching the cables, then your temp sensor will need to be replaced.

If you have a multimeter on hand, you can check the resistance of your temp sensor. It should read about 110Ω at room temperature.

Posted · "ERROR - STOPPED Temp Sensor"

It looks like you have a defective PT100 sensor in your print head, most likely there's a break in the cable. If the break is close to the sensor, you can't repair it as it gets too hot for soldering. You'll need a new one.

If you have or can borrow a multimeter, you can try measuring it. It's a PT100 sensor, so it's nominally 100 ohms at 0 degrees C. The alpha coefficient is 0.385 for most of these things, so at 20 degrees it should be around 108 ohms. If it measures correctly, try exercising the cable a bit at the hot end with the multimeter still connected. See if it intermittently shows open circuit. That'll be a broken cable.