Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
womacki

Filament Motor Skipping noise

When printing with my ultimaker 2, the motor that feeds the filaments sound like it is intermittently skipping. The skipping noise mostly occurs when printing the brim or when printing long streaks of material. My prints have been coming out nicely, but I'm worried about potentially burning out the motor.

I've tried lowering the build plate as well as raising/lower the nozzle's temperature, but have not seen a reduction in the frequency of this noise.

Is this noise normal? A video below shows the motor play the noise twice while printing a brim. Thank you for the help!

Search on the forum for "Skipping"

https://ultimaker.com/search?search=skipping

There are a lot of answers you probable detect a solution.

I have the same problems and I think it is a hardware issue in the stepper motor driver chip A4988.

I think (but I can't find a description) that the A4988 reverses the direction if the maximum current is reached.

I tried the following. Printed a object (small cube) with the maximum current for the E of 1300mA. Result: no problems, no retractions, just fine.

Then I lowered the E current to 900mA. With the same g-code: problems, sometimes a rectraction.

I great improvement was a new PTFE coupler, skipping was much less but still sometimes skipping. What I dislike most is the fact that I don't know that is "skipping" happened, since I don't stay with the printer all the time :p

Succes, Jaap.