Cura2.5 Spiralize multi material

ultiarjan

Posted (edited) · Cura2.5 Spiralize multi material

I'm guessing that because it didn't do a retract before it moved back to the print, that it was missing extrude immediately after the change.

Here's a new one to try that does the retract before moving...

Hmmm.... not the best.

Also this version does a lot of weird z hops on the bottom layers...

poging5.thumb.png.4df8b505c380b0c7a312d3e056e3e5a8.png

Basically it comes down to keeping it simple I think.

- you solved the weird straight lines from the first version (check)

- a small string is better than a blob as easier to remove (check)

- the string needs to be small to avoid it to touch the item in 2 places, but keeping the string small is pretty difficult as many people will print spiralised at higher temperatures and over extruding (x probably impossible to solve)

- don't do the crazy tricks and z hops, don't think they add value.

- an option to choose the position where the layer start-end will be (vs random) might be the best so people can choose the position of the strings to be on the least visible side of the object (can ofc also be a fixed place, people can rotate the object)

edit; oh and this version again has the strange "ridge" (is that a word) again as in version3

poging5.thumb.png.4df8b505c380b0c7a312d3e056e3e5a8.png

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura2.5 Spiralize multi material

Hi, thanks again for the report.

Well, I'm not sure where to go from here at the moment. I don't know what's causing the z-hops on the bottom layers. The changes I am making should only have any effect at the boundary between materials. Ditto the ridge, don't know where that is coming from.

In general, you don't know where the seam positions will be because they move as the layers go up.

I am thinking of reverting back to the version that leaves blobs. At least that is predictable.

More work needed, I think.

• Like 1

Hi, just letting you know that none of the fixes I have been working on will be in the 2.5 release so multi-material spiralized prints will have to wait until 2.6. We still need to fix the blobs post extruder change as the solutions we have tested so far haven't worked terribly well. It's work in progress.

I think the ridge is caused by the fact that the prime poop and skirt are extruded with a higher speed, which leads to overextrusion when the printer needs to adjust to the new speed.

Not sure, though.

The blob is normal oozed material like we always see in dual extrusion prints without a prime tower.

Perhaps negative retraction prime amount values will make it into the 2.6 release.

Depends on what other issues we'd like to solve, though. Spiralize is not really high on our priority list.