Cura Brim First Layer Overlapping and Squirting Out the Sides

Shanjaq

Posted (edited) · Cura Brim First Layer Overlapping and Squirting Out the Sides

I am having a problem with Cura adding brims on all quality levels.  As the brim gets closer to the center, the nozzle isn't moving far enough per loop, so about halfway through the filament is jamming (even with a nice gearhead extruder) because the nozzle is completely covered by the previous loops and it's squirting out the sides.  I can't seem to find any Cura settings to adjust the first-layer line width, which would hopefully influence the spacing of the loops.  I set the nozzle diameter to 0.3mm, which is according to the Printrbot Simple specification on their website, and if I don't use a brim the print comes out nicely, if not for the curling...  Help please?

I have most definitely set the nozzle diameter correctly, I believe that Cura does not account for the increased line diameter of the first layer due to squishing onto the plate for good adhesion.  I cannot raise my extruder any higher because the filament will not stick.  I think it's a software problem, it's not accounting for the flattening of filament on the build plate while advancing toward the center!

I have also tried fiddling with the extrusion multiplier, but it just makes the loops have ragged edges and when it finally gets to the model itself, the lines are too thin and the layers are not sticking together.  I have no printing problems with PrintrBot's cloud slicing, but their brim functionality is broken so I thought I'd try Cura with the manufacturer's recommended settings, which brings me to the problem described in this post.

Please Help!

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Cura Brim First Layer Overlapping and Squirting Out the Sides

Sounds like your bed is to close to your nozzle. Lower the bed a little before you start your next print.

The bed is fixed, so the only alternative would be to raise the nozzle, which I cannot do because it's already as high as it can go without lifting off.  This is a software problem because it assumes that the line width at the first layer is exactly the same as the line width on higher layers, which is incorrect.

Cura needs to account for the line width on the first layer as filament is squished onto the build plate for proper adhesion.  It doesn't do this right now.  Slic3r has options for this, which is good, but it generates gcode which the PrintrBot 2016 Simple, model 1608, doesn't understand.  PrintrBot officially recommends slicing in Cura, but this problem makes it impossible to print anything with a brim.

Edited by Guest

• 9 months later...
    Posted · Cura Brim First Layer Overlapping and Squirting Out the Sides

Hey, did you solved the problem? I´ve got the same problem when I choose the concendric pattern for first layer. When the nozzle get´s closer to center, the nozzle is overlapping with the previous line. The result ist, that the filament is jamming and waving.