Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Cura Brim First Layer Overlapping and Squirting Out the Sides

Recommended Posts

I am having a problem with Cura adding brims on all quality levels.  As the brim gets closer to the center, the nozzle isn't moving far enough per loop, so about halfway through the filament is jamming (even with a nice gearhead extruder) because the nozzle is completely covered by the previous loops and it's squirting out the sides.  I can't seem to find any Cura settings to adjust the first-layer line width, which would hopefully influence the spacing of the loops.  I set the nozzle diameter to 0.3mm, which is according to the Printrbot Simple specification on their website, and if I don't use a brim the print comes out nicely, if not for the curling...  Help please?

I have most definitely set the nozzle diameter correctly, I believe that Cura does not account for the increased line diameter of the first layer due to squishing onto the plate for good adhesion.  I cannot raise my extruder any higher because the filament will not stick.  I think it's a software problem, it's not accounting for the flattening of filament on the build plate while advancing toward the center!

I have also tried fiddling with the extrusion multiplier, but it just makes the loops have ragged edges and when it finally gets to the model itself, the lines are too thin and the layers are not sticking together.  I have no printing problems with PrintrBot's cloud slicing, but their brim functionality is broken so I thought I'd try Cura with the manufacturer's recommended settings, which brings me to the problem described in this post.

Please Help!

Edited by Guest

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like your bed is to close to your nozzle. Lower the bed a little before you start your next print.


The bed is fixed, so the only alternative would be to raise the nozzle, which I cannot do because it's already as high as it can go without lifting off.  This is a software problem because it assumes that the line width at the first layer is exactly the same as the line width on higher layers, which is incorrect.

Cura needs to account for the line width on the first layer as filament is squished onto the build plate for proper adhesion.  It doesn't do this right now.  Slic3r has options for this, which is good, but it generates gcode which the PrintrBot 2016 Simple, model 1608, doesn't understand.  PrintrBot officially recommends slicing in Cura, but this problem makes it impossible to print anything with a brim.

Edited by Guest

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura | a new interface
      We're not only trying to always make Ultimaker Cura better with the usual new features and improvements we build, but we're also trying to make it more pleasant to operate. The interface was the focus for the upcoming release, from which we would already like to present you the first glance. 
        • Like
      • 86 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!