Print head error communication

fabreax

Posted (edited) · Print head error communication

Hello,

Again, I have a new issue with one of my Ultimaker 3.

First, I had several print errors like "reaching the temperature is too long".

And now, a failed print :

IMG_20170413_095121.thumb.jpg.65649fd8e851ee252e8542dc4a7f61a8.jpg

The head stops on the part. I think it's a good idea to lower the build plate after a fail :

IMG_20170413_095135_1.thumb.jpg.0c82b919aa684920bee352e619ff3556.jpg

Then, I have done a successfull "heater sensor test" :

IMG_20170413_101923.thumb.jpg.15f0280480b529f572e395fd7e42eb64.jpg

I think I should have bought UM2 instead of UM3 ...

IMG_20170413_095121.thumb.jpg.65649fd8e851ee252e8542dc4a7f61a8.jpg

IMG_20170413_095135_1.thumb.jpg.0c82b919aa684920bee352e619ff3556.jpg

IMG_20170413_101923.thumb.jpg.15f0280480b529f572e395fd7e42eb64.jpg

Edited by Guest

Posted · Print head error communication

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Is your front fan running while it says preparing?

I don't know, the printcore unloading works now ...

Is your silicone piece still in place?

Yes

Have you tried re-seating your printhead cable?

Not yet

The ER18 occured again at the beginning of the print ! The print cores fan is on !

My UM3 has been repaired ! They have replaced the cable from the motherboard to the print head. So, it was again a faulty Ultimaker 3 !

I'm glad your printer is fixed. Most of the time an ER18 can be resolved by reseating the cable; very occasionally I've persistent ER18s that require a replacement cable.

From my point of view, the UM3 is not reliable at all compared to the UM2+

i'll agree that there are more things that could go wrong but i definitely disagree with the reliability..

running 5 UM3s compared to running 5 UM2s is a total breeze.. the UM3 is much more reliable in my experience..

i'll agree that there are more things that could go wrong but i definitely disagree with the reliability..

running 5 UM3s compared to running 5 UM2s is a total breeze.. the UM3 is much more reliable in my experience..

What kind of issues do you have on the UM2 ?

issues I had.. i replaced them all with UM3.. ;-)

so i thought about it and i'm not going to list them :) most of them are solved with the UM2+..

for me, the biggest thing is the replaceable print heads.. any issue.. at all... heater, temp sensor, nozzle, heater block.. whatever.. replace it under a minute.. no downtime.. well worth it :)

issues I had.. i replaced them all with UM3.. ;-)

so i thought about it and i'm not going to list them :)most of them are solved with the UM2+..

for me, the biggest thing is the replaceable print heads.. any issue.. at all... heater, temp sensor, nozzle, heater block.. whatever.. replace it under a minute.. no downtime.. well worth it :)

I have no issues with 2+ but a lot with 3. When you replace the printcores, you always need to do the x/y calibration, it's a waste of time.

I have no issues with 2+ but a lot with 3. When you replace the printcores, you always need to do the x/y calibration, it's a waste of time.

for me it's the other way around..

i always ignore the calibration.. haven't really seen the point of it so far..

i've got print cores running for 3000+ hours.. so i don't know why you would want to replace them often.. i'm just very happy with the fact that i can if needed..

then you only need to calibrate combinations. so calibrate them once, write down in which printer you used them and you are done..

no, overall, um3, way more reliable and easier to use.. especially with the printing via network..

For instance to change the AA core to BB core. And in the future 0.25mm nozzle, I use it a lot on the UM2+.

I disable auto calibration because manual leveling does a better job and I do not use wifi because I always need to be near the printer (insert filament, verify the beginning of the print).

It's interesting to have the 2 points of view.

For instance to change the AA core to BB core. And in the future 0.25mm nozzle, I use it a lot on the UM2+.

I disable auto calibration because manual leveling does a better job and I do not use wifi because I always need to be near the printer (insert filament, verify the beginning of the print).

It's interesting to have the 2 points of view.

You should only need to do the XY calibration the first time you pair up a set of Cores for a particular printer. It should remember the calibration forever. If you pull a BB Core from example from a different machine and put it in, it will require the calibration to run again, but as long as you're not creating a new pairing, it should remember the existing calibration.

Yes, I need to write on the print core the UM3 and the slot.

Posted (edited) · Print head error communication

Yes, I need to write on the print core the UM3 and the slot.

As @fbrc8-erin mentioned, this only need to be done once

Also I think some collegue has made a sort of "printcore holder" which you can hang onto the UM3, so you can 'store' the cores with the corresponding UM3.

I asked him to put it on youmagine and will place a link here when it's done.

Added: actually, other people made some as well. Just search for "printcore" on youmagine.com

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Thanks !

On 6/22/2017 at 6:03 PM, fbrc8-erin said:

I'm glad your printer is fixed. Most of the time an ER18 can be resolved by reseating the cable; very occasionally I've persistent ER18s that require a replacement cable.

So the only place you can be reseating the cable is on the motherboard? 

7 hours ago, byBlackWolf said:

So the only place you can be reseating the cable is on the motherboard? 

No, there's 2 ends to the cable. It goes into the printhead PCB board, and into the main electronics board. But since the main electronics board under the printer is stationary, if something needs to be reseated/came loose, odds are it's going to be the printhead PCB, since the printhead is constantly moving. If the cable did need to be replaced, you do have to access both ends.

3 hours ago, fbrc8-erin said:

No, there's 2 ends to the cable. It goes into the printhead PCB board, and into the main electronics board. But since the main electronics board under the printer is stationary, if something needs to be reseated/came loose, odds are it's going to be the printhead PCB, since the printhead is constantly moving. If the cable did need to be replaced, you do have to access both ends.

Thank you I found information about it ?