Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
R32ool

PVA support help

Hi

can someone help please. I'm trying to print this cog & I keep getting unnecessary support materiel around the outside ( as pictured )....it needs some support material as it protrudes slightly at the bottom. But Cura keeps adding support material around the entire cog' which ends up spoiling the print' as it tends to either string or one of the supports collapse & ruins it. Is there a way of disabling the support around the outside & leaving the bottom in place " which I thought touching build plate only would do"

or is there something I'm missing any help appreciated as its getting rather frustrating [media=58778]

5a3335bbda785_ScreenShot2017-04-13at15_36_16.thumb.png.b15e712209da8af188f88acaab234e62.png[/media]

5a3335bbda785_ScreenShot2017-04-13at15_36_16.thumb.png.b15e712209da8af188f88acaab234e62.png

The outside support is set with the"horizontal expansion" function.

Ultimaker uses these default settings with a huge amount of PVA because PVA does not stick to wel to PLA. This way there's a higher change of PVA on PVA connections, and less change of a failed print....

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

hi

Thanks for the help. I checked the horizontal expansion & it was set to 0. & when I changed it' the cog seemed to get fuzzy/Bigger.

However I happened to change the "support overhang angle" to a higher angle from the preset 45' to 80' & it had the desired effect. with only support at the base of the cog rather than up the sides as well & I managed to get a print done without any messy foul ups..

thanks anyway :)