Cannot keep walls from warping

Rossboss

Posted · Cannot keep walls from warping

I have been trying for days now to prevent the walls of this build from caving in. The model is IP sensitive but in essence it is a 1.05mm shell with four inlets that encases an internal lattice structure.

image3.thumb.JPG.4cbab0653158e27b0a8bd43e24a05dd1.JPG

image4.thumb.JPG.e09546f047ea8f7dcbd3075b6d48bbcb.JPG

I've experimented with different temperature, speed, plate adhesion settings as well as varying the size and orientations of this model and nothing has worked so far. I have PVA supports on the inside and outside of the vertical wall that sits on the plate to support the shell overhangs as well as the internal lattice that sits within the shell center.

5a33365942708_image1(1).thumb.JPG.7e9610c170d370e59f0ceac8709ab279.JPG

The most recent attempt with the settings below seemed to make things worse :(

5a333658e830a_image2(1).thumb.JPG.de65379248328a9981e4bce12eb2bd8a.JPG

The relevant settings/settings I have changed based on what I've seen online are:

- 0.1mm layer height

- PLA raft

- print speed of 40mm/s

- 196* PLA print temperature

- 225* PVA print temperature

- built plate temp of 55*

- 100% fan for PLA

- 0% fan for PVA

My best guess as to whats happening is that the PVA supports are somehow insulating the PLA wall, maybe the hotter PVA nozzle is also adding heat, and preventing the wall from cooling fast enough and it warps. One of my several issues with this guess is that the PVA layer time is at least 5 minutes so I would think that it would have plenty of time to cool before laying down the next layer of PLA.

Anyone have a fix for this? Thanks!

image3.thumb.JPG.4cbab0653158e27b0a8bd43e24a05dd1.JPG

image4.thumb.JPG.e09546f047ea8f7dcbd3075b6d48bbcb.JPG

5a33365942708_image1(1).thumb.JPG.7e9610c170d370e59f0ceac8709ab279.JPG

5a333658e830a_image2(1).thumb.JPG.de65379248328a9981e4bce12eb2bd8a.JPG

Posted · Cannot keep walls from warping

So my current build is going quite well. I changed two main things, one being I am now using PLA supports and no PVA at all. This was not preferable but well see how easy support removal is once its done as well as surface finish. The other thing was that I set the XY spacing to 5 mm giving the wall excess space for air flow. I'm not sure which of these two, or if both of them are contributing to the better print quality of the wall but it seems to be working...