Time Estimates in Cura

kmanstudios

Posted · Time Estimates in Cura

Just out of curiosity, how are other people's time estimates? I am using Cura 2.5 and the UM3+ and I am finding the time estimates are an 'overestimation'. Sometimes by quite a bit, sometimes not. Now, I am not complaining. I would much rather have estimates be overestimated than underestimated. Better to manage time as expectations.

An example would be that I am finishing up my 14" Enterprise print and the estimate was off by about 8 hours or so. Instead of finishing up about 9AM in the morning, it is finishing up at 12:30AM.

Again, not a complaint. Just curious.

Sure its not a warp core bubble causing a time dilation?

The largest factor I've found in Cura time v. Print time is Jerk and Acceleration settings. Perhaps your UM3+ has higher values (faster) than what Cura defaults to.

Jerk and Acceleration Control is not enabled, so Cura won't send those commands to the printer, but instead use its defaults, among others, to estimate print times. If you enable them and then set them to the same values as what are stored in your printer, I think you'll get much more accurate time estimates.

Sure its not a warp core bubble causing a time dilation?

The largest factor I've found in Cura time v. Print time is Jerk and Acceleration settings. Perhaps your UM3+ has higher values (faster) than what Cura defaults to.

Jerk and Acceleration Control is not enabled, so Cura won't send those commands to the printer, but instead use its defaults, among others, to estimate print times. If you enable them and then set them to the same values as what are stored in your printer, I think you'll get much more accurate time estimates.

To be honest with you, I kinda like the over-estimation of time. Beats the heck out of under-estimation.

And, doing what you suggest is beyond my capabilities at this time. I'm still fine tuning my settings for temps and materials.

And, printing long time prints...11-72 hours or so....Kinda kills that experimentation on that fine of control.

Posted (edited) · Time Estimates in Cura

Here is an example of the time change in output just by running the same file at a different time:

Old time- 49.25 hours

New Time- 49 hours

I am not sure why this would be. It is not much, but should the times not be the same?

Edited by Guest