Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Pilla

UMO+ Extrusion problem - maybe tension in feeder?

I am having extrusion problems with my UMO+. 20170503_135705.thumb.jpg.d28957defd5ef43768300fdc646db480.jpg20170503_135836.thumb.jpg.6e2079b1be892de0a8707b242107537c.jpg

This began when I had a filament tangle. I've tried tightening the tension spring, loosening the spring, increasing the flow even up to 120%, and still get this erratic extrusion. Searching on the community, I see a similar problem from April 17, 2017, which was caused by the Delrin wheel. I took that out, hammered the middle bearing in to be more centered, and reassembled. It "may" have been deforming, but nothing obvious. (I can't find a roller bearing of that size here in town.) After that, I started printing again, and the pictures show the result. The filament has a bit of a gouge in it. I have tried different filaments, and sometimes succeed with a lot of fiddling with the tension.

How does one set the tension correctly? The spring is 11 mm long, per my little plastic ruler.

Other ideas?

20170503_135705.thumb.jpg.d28957defd5ef43768300fdc646db480.jpg

20170503_135836.thumb.jpg.6e2079b1be892de0a8707b242107537c.jpg

To me it actually looks like you have a levelling issue with your bed... IE. it is not perfectly flat, and so in the "underextruded" areas the bed came too close to the nozzle, caused too much resistance for the plastic to flow and the feeder started grinding your filament.

Did you try lowering the bed and just asking the printer to extrude an amount of plastic to see if it flows smoothly?

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Tommyph1208, you were right! I just leveled the bed to humor you and Neotko, and whoop whoop! The bed needed to be lowered a tad bit on all three screws.

Neotko, I think that black spot was from the previous filament, which was bronze fill. I haven't seen that again.

Big smile!

Glad you sorted it out... Seems like the glass surface is not even though (it extruded fine in the middle of your triangle but not in the sides...) Maybe try flipping the plate and see if it helps any with regards to that.

Edited by Guest