Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Necronomis

Top Layer Only Sometimes?

Hey guys,

I'm brand new to the community, just got my first printer a little over a week ago. I've had good success so far, got my settings where the prints are consistently good, and made a couple helpful things already. I decided to try to print some models with very high level of detail, 0.2mm nozzle at 0.06mm layer height, and I noticed something strange. The top layer disappears.

The exact same model works just fine at a lower resolution (layer comes back once I get to about 0.11mm layer height), but it also comes back if I keep it where it is and just turn off the raft, or change to a brim/skirt.

Has anyone seen this before? Any idea what settings should I start poking at to try to fix this?

pic1.thumb.jpg.90c1f5d8bbaea479d856805cb6dfcb39.jpg

pic2.thumb.jpg.47950d8544b45ccaefe4988d57c983d3.jpg

pic3.thumb.jpg.50e204b12a976d96a48581a1f445000c.jpg

Many thanks,

-Necro

pic1.thumb.jpg.90c1f5d8bbaea479d856805cb6dfcb39.jpg

pic2.thumb.jpg.47950d8544b45ccaefe4988d57c983d3.jpg

pic3.thumb.jpg.50e204b12a976d96a48581a1f445000c.jpg

Edited by Guest

Looks like a bug. I strongly recommend you never use raft. It's an old feature from before the discovery of heated beds. It's no longer needed. The reasons are complicated but I'll go into it if you are really curious.