Estimated time on CURA

Food24

Posted · Estimated time on CURA

Dear All,

my question today is on the estimated printing time by CURA.

I have printed a small pyramid with a base of 29*29 mm and an height of 22 mm.

The estimated time by CURA is about 4 minutes.

My printer finished to print after 2 min and 40 s.

It is possible that CURA has some bugs which produce this type of error ?

I have this problem when i print at very low print speed of 11.21 mm/s while when I print at 16 mm/s and 21 mm/s the estimated time are close and lower than the actual times, respectively.

Maybe there are values of minimum Feed Rate at which the printer cannot move ?

From the display of my printer (a Delta Wasp 2040) i read this setting conditions

Vmax(x,y,z,e) 250 250 250 60

Vmin 0

Vtravel min 0

Amax(x,y,z,e) 20000 20000 9000 3000

Vx,y_jerk 20

Ve_jerk 5

Accelleration 3000

A_retract (e) 3000 - - -

Estep(x,y,z,e) 85.33 85.33 85.33 400

Food24

I would prefer an overestimation of time as you show rather than underestimation.

I posted a similar topic and someone suggested that the quirks of individual printers may have slightly different timings on operations that cause the over-estimation. Also, if it follows some rules that are applied to other software (3D Rendering, animation, compositing) it will speed up and slow down based on a number of factors.

But, an overestimation is good by me :) Helps me factor time better. I would feel more comfortable telling a client 4 hours and have it done in 3 than to tell them 4 hours and it take 5. I have seen people get bit by that in a very, very bad way. Even saw some loose clients.

Dunno if this helps. But I can say that Cura had a bad rep for bad time estimations such as being 50% under (6 hours actual printing vs. 3 estimated) and have been pleasantly surprised that it is either spot on or a bit off by way of estimating a bit of extra time.

> It is possible that CURA has some bugs

I can say with 100% certainty that Cura has some bugs.

> which produce this type of error ?

But this type of error is not caused by a bug but by a mismatch between your printer firmware and the default values that Cura has to use when the printer definition does not include values about how fast your printer accelerates/decelerates while moving.

Dear ahoeben,

something is not clear yet.

Are the values about how fast my printer accelerates/decelerates while moving, defined by my firmware?

What do you mean when speak about ' mismatch between your printer firmware and the default values that Cura has to use when the printer definition does not include values about how fast your printer accelerates/decelerates while moving' ?

I known that the installed firmware contains the parameter by which the printer will move. By using CURA we only define most printing parameters which are contrained by acceleration/deceleration, jerk etc as defined in firmware.

Also, i would like to understand if CURA well define the movement of a DELTA printer or some bugs could be between the estimated movement and the actual one.

Thanks

Food24

Posted (edited) · Estimated time on CURA

Are the values about how fast my printer accelerates/decelerates while moving, defined by my firmware?

Yes. The firmware in your printer manages a set of speed/acceleration/jerk values. And so does Cura. If the values don't match between the firmware and Cura, Cura cannot calculate a proper print time.

Also, i would like to understand if CURA well define the movement of a DELTA printer or some bugs could be between the estimated movement and the actual one.

I don't know, perhaps @Bagel-orb can tell.

Edited by Guest