Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
swinkaszynka

Printing without material - is it safe?

Hi there,

I'm learning 3D print with my U3+ and today, while I was printing 8-9h part, PVA support material ended (2nd core). Is it safe to continue printing without material in core/nozzle? I've reduced temperature by 25 degrees (I can't reduce it more), and changed the flow to the minimum value. I don't want to stop print because support is no longer needed (even if Cura created program with the support to the very end). What do you think about heating up core without material inside?

You should be fine. The 25 degree cooler thing is most important. The worst that can happen is that you bake the pva too much and you clog the nozzle. Nozzles can be repaired but it violates warranty of the core itself because they have a delicate part but I created a video (I'm not an Ultimaker employee) to help you do that should you clog your BB core:

on youtube search for: ultimaker 3 core disassembly

by gr575

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements

• Our picks

• Architect Design Contest | People
      The goal of this contest is to design a set of people figurines that could be used in such a project to make an area, office or mall seem populated. 
      Think of different types of people in different environments, like walking people, people standing still, working people, and both men and women.

• 6 replies
    • Taking Advantage of DfAM
      This is a statement that’s often made about AM/3DP. I'll focus on the way DfAM can take advantage of some of the unique capabilities that AM and 3DP have to offer. I personally think that the use of AM/3DP for light-weighting is one of it’s most exciting possibilities and one that could play a key part in the sustainability of design and manufacturing in the future.
      • 3 replies

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!