Support of Microsoft Windows 3D print drivers?

cadman11

Posted (edited) · Support of Microsoft Windows 3D print drivers?

Hello,

we intend to use Ultimaker 3 on Windows 10 and feeded directly by the CAD system Siemens NX (Version 11).

• In Siemens documentation (link) we found as prerequisite "A 3D printer that supports Microsoft Windows 3D print drivers".

• On your web-site only the connection via cura is described.
  • Here's what we found on docs.microsoft.com (link)

Question: Does your firmware provided a Compatible ID for Windows OS?

Edited by Guest

Posted · Support of Microsoft Windows 3D print drivers?

Are you really sure you would want Windows 10 to flash your printer's firmware (if I understood that well in the docs), and to have it provide all the drivers?

This might not be as bad as let Windows 10 flash your airplane's computer and provide its own drivers, but still...

This sounds like a nightmare to me, and a recipe for disaster. Especially with Windows' automatic updates that you can not disable anymore (even not the incompatible ones), so they are going to happen halfway a 40 hour print? And with its huge amounts of spying functions and back doors? That means that not only Microsoft but the whole American government can snoop into your system and printer.

Google for "windows 10 spyware" (without quotation marks), and enjoy. Or not. It's really creepy.

(Note: I am not involved in Ultimaker development; just another user.)

Are you really sure you would want Windows 10 to flash your printer's firmware (if I understood that well in the docs), and to have it provide all the drivers?

This might not be as bad as let Windows 10 flash your airplane's computer and provide its own drivers, but still...

This sounds like a nightmare to me, and a recipe for disaster. Especially with Windows' automatic updates that you can not disable anymore (even not the incompatible ones), so they are going to happen halfway a 40 hour print? And with its huge amounts of spying functions and back doors? That means that not only Microsoft but the whole American government can snoop into your system and printer.

Google for "windows 10 spyware" (without quotation marks), and enjoy. Or not. It's really creepy.

(Note: I am not involved in Ultimaker development; just another user.)

Unfortunately I agree completely with the creep factor. But Microsplooge is making it to where the OS will only operate on newer chips and architecture with virtually no backwards compatibility.

And, yeah, their update system is stupid just for the reasons you cited...it can kill a job smack in the middle of processing.

To get around that on the one machine I have that has Windows 10, I tell the updates to be on a metered connection until I am ready to update. It is a kluge, but it does work.

• 1 year later...
    On 6/1/2017 at 9:42 PM, kmanstudios said:

Unfortunately I agree completely with the creep factor. But Microsplooge is making it to where the OS will only operate on newer chips and architecture with virtually no backwards compatibility.

And, yeah, their update system is stupid just for the reasons you cited...it can kill a job smack in the middle of processing.

To get around that on the one machine I have that has Windows 10, I tell the updates to be on a metered connection until I am ready to update. It is a kluge, but it does work.

Hello, i know this is an old topic, but writing a windows 3d driver does not include rewriting your firmware with a windows one. Just write a driver who is able to slice with cura and send the sliced file to your printer. It is just cura in driver form.