Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

UM3 Hot end cooling fan broken blade

rpierce

Posted · UM3 Hot end cooling fan broken blade

Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot of printing on my ultimaker 3.  I've been doing ABS almost exclusively, doing a lot of printing with HIPS as a support material and it's been working great.

However, I realized yesterday that one of my prints was extremely brittle, almost burnt looking at the very end of the print.  If i pushed on the small parts with my finger they would crumble.  I tried to print again with a different roll of filament since this was my first print after putting a new roll of Inland filament on, but it failed about an hour or two into the print this time instead of at the end.

After scratching my head for a while trying to fix a clogged nozzle, etc. I looked straight at the hotend and saw that a blade of the cooling fan had broken off and was wedged in between the fan and the plastic fan guard so it would not spin.  I got the blade out with a tweezer but now the fan vibrates quite a bit since it's off balance.

Long story short, I need to find a place to get a replacement hot end fan for an Ultimaker 3.  I'm contacting support as I write this post to see where that gets me.   I've also attached pictures of the crunchy pieces as well as the fan blade for reference.

uMFwjGM.jpg

3g1Xdin.jpg

qbpM3jm.jpg

Archived