Extrusion Multiplier - How much away from 100% is to much?

changedsoul

Posted · Extrusion Multiplier - How much away from 100% is to much?

So this is a bit of a continuation of my other issues with over extrusion and first layer goodness.

Thats all been resolved I think.

After I calibrated my extruder steps/mm with no hot end connected, I then proceeded to set the first layer height, making it pretty close to that set in software (.3).

Thats all good now, then I printed a hollow cube to measure the the wall thickness to attempt to set the extrusion multiplier. With the multiplier set at 100%, I am laying down lines a tad thicker than the .4mm set in software.

So my question to you guys, How much deviation away from 100% is a sign something else may be wrong? Obviously in my other post I had to go down to around 30% to get proper width, thats how I found I was way over extruding.

Now I am at 93% to lay down a perfect .4mm +- .013mm. So is 7% deviation within normal ranges assuming filament size variations and nozzle diam, etc?

Well when you dont have a scale that can read Sub grams, and all cura says is ~1g, weighing it is not really an option. There has to be a better way.

• Like 1

I recently had issues with over-extrusion using ABS. My UM2 settings give ABS a 107% multiplier for ABS, but that was much too much on my new Type A Series 1 Pro.

On the S1, even a 103% multiplier caused winkling and bumps in the prints.

I'm guessing that this might be a difference between the UM2 remote-extruder with Bowden, and the S1, with 3" direct to the hotend.