Problem with z motor

heath

Posted · Problem with z motor

Hi all,

I recently assembled my ultimaker and have spent the last couple of days trying to figure out software,firmware,gcode,and how to get a decent print. Well today while trying to calibrate in netfabb and print in repg the z motor started giving me problems. It started making a loud stuttering grinding sound and not turning the screw. It would just vibrate back and forth. If I hit the end switch it will stop but the motor can not be turned by hand easily. If I unplug or restart device in netfabb (or disable stepper motor controls it repg) I can freely turn the z axis by hand. I took the screw drive coupling loose and it seemed as if the motor would spin fine while not connected. Sometimes it wont make the loud noise and vibrate just a quite high pitch sound with no movement. I unplugged the y and z motors from the board and switched them the problem moved to the y axis and the z worked fine.

I tried turning the power up and down on the board by turning the tiny screw on the stepper driver board. This just increased the noise and vibration or brought it down to the high pitch sound. The motor does not feel hot. I increased the max. Z Acceleration to 10.0 in netfabb earlier. I don't know if this has any thing to do with it. I changed it back as well as resetting netfabb, and re installed the firmware to no avail.

I am using

Netfabb Studio Basic 4.8

ReplicatorG version: 0026

Java version: 1.6.0_16 (Sprinter/Marlin firmware)

ErikZalm/Marlin firmware from

https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin

Any help you can give would be appreciated

Thanks

Heath

It seems like a crook motor.

I would say its a crooked polulu, if I read this:

I unplugged the y and z motors from the board and switched them the problem moved to the y axis and the z worked fine.

If I read correctly: You changed the z-motor to another axis and then it works fine? If so, then I would get a replacement "polulu stepper" from Ultimaker.

It seems like a crook motor.

I would say its a crooked polulu, if I read this:

I unplugged the y and z motors from the board and switched them the problem moved to the y axis and the z worked fine.

If I read correctly: You changed the z-motor to another axis and then it works fine? If so, then I would get a replacement "polulu stepper" from Ultimaker.

Err yes, you would be correct. I was thinking (not thinking actually) the motor was switched.

Hi,

I have the same problem but with two polulu stepper I guess. I've assembled my Ultimaker two days ago and from the beginning it sounded weird. One motor has a very high frequency noise, vibrate (I can feel it on a motor and on a belt) and overheats. The second one has a clicking/knocking sound. When I touch it it's hot. Motor seems to work back and fourth all the time. I can feel it on a belt. All those issues are noticeable while machine is just powered on. When using Control Panel it doesn't work smooth. I've made combinations with switching motors and polulu steppers and in my case motors and the rest of the electronics works fine. Only polulu steppers are the problem. What I've noticed it has something to do with a temperature because when the machine is cold works fine for about 30 seconds but after this time starts to click/knock/vibrate... and it's getting worst with time. I've checked cooling and it works fine. I'll contact with guys from Ultimaker about the replacements.

Michal

It could also be the current settings on the motor drivers. If the current is to high then the polulu driver overheats and it will shut off, causing stuttering. If the current is to low it won't be able to turn the motors with enough torque, causing the vibration.

Maybe... But why it works fine for a while? And why it causes problems when motor is not working? I've checked settings on the motor drivers and they are in "the middle". Do you think that adjusting may help? I thought that when motor is idle then motor settings can't be an issue.

Maybe... But why it works fine for a while? And why it causes problems when motor is not working? I've checked settings on the motor drivers and they are in "the middle". Do you think that adjusting may help? I thought that when motor is idle then motor settings can't be an issue.

It might work fine for a while because the drivers are not overheated yet?

And when the motors is "not working" it's still getting current to keep it at the same point, that's why turning the motors is very hard when the power is enabled. So even when the motor is not turning it will still use power and heat up the drivers. One of the M commands is suppose to turn off all the motors. But I've never tested that myself.

"middle" sounds high. See:

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Electronics_b ... or_drivers

:D Daid. You've solved my problem. Thank you so much. I've adjusted all drivers according to a drawing and now it work's!!! Again.THANK YOU :) Somewhere in the Assembly guide is said that all stepper drivers are adjusted and it's not recommended/necessary to play with adjusting. Well. In my opinion it is quite recommended to do it :)

Thanks for your replies.

I think I have narrowed down the problem to a bad Pololu. I

switched the z and y Pololus and the z started working and the y

stopped.

I filled out a ticket with ultimaker.

Thanks again for your Help.

Heath

:D Daid. You've solved my problem. Thank you so much. I've adjusted all drivers according to a drawing and now it work's!!! Again.THANK YOU :) Somewhere in the Assembly guide is said that all stepper drivers are adjusted and it's not recommended/necessary to play with adjusting. Well. In my opinion it is quite recommended to do it :)

They used to perfecly adjust them, because mine are great. But maybe (just a guess) with the large volumes they had to ship they got a bit sloppy on that point. Which isn't that good, especially if the instructions say they are fine.

Added the solution for this problem to the wiki.