Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Elaup

How can I solve too thin deposited wires?

Hi guys!

I'm a beginner in the 3D printing universe and I really struggle to obtain my first good prints with my new Ultimaker Original +.

I think my problem is that the extruded filament is far too thin, like I'm having sort of under-extrusion but at a constant rate. I managed to obtain a regular plastic deposition, but the deposited wires are really really thin. I tried to mesure this width with a digital caliper but it's too thin and too flat to measure anything.

I've tried to print a first layer test square with the silver metallic PLA that is provided with the printer, with the recommended settings first. I obtained this one layer part with unjoined extruded wires, as it can be seen on the picture. I assume these gaps between the wires are not normal as I selected "solid fill", am I right ?

IMG_8446.thumb.JPG.903704e9528bc4caab94006d2f10cf67.JPG

To solve this issue, I've tried first to increase the flow rate to 125% without noticable improvement, and then to increase the nozzle temperature from the default 200°C to 215°C while reducing the print speed to 40 m/s as recommended by many experienced users, without success again. All this after many nozzle cleanings following the Atomic method.

What else could I try to solve this issue ? Since my machine is new, I assume the coupler is ok, as well as the bowden tube. I also checked that the filament moves on when I rotate the feeder wheel and that it's slightly marked by the drive wheel.

Thanks in advance for your expert feedback!

Elie

IMG_8446.thumb.JPG.903704e9528bc4caab94006d2f10cf67.JPG

Edited by Guest