Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
gustojunk

2.6 error slicing when 'generate support' in extruder 2 PVA is selected. Or 2.5 building extra geometry. Any ideas?

Hi all,

I'm having troubles with my Ultimaker 3 extended. When I try to print any file with PVA support in the extruder 2 I get this "Unable to slice because the prime tower or prime position(s) are invalid" error.

I do not even know what that means.

This happens with ANY stl file.

This happens in 2.6 beta

In Cura 2.5 I get the model to slice and print, but the printer builds a weird square tower where that pink square is on the upper left. And that's never in any of my files, It shows only with I build the supports with extruder 2. is that normal? Like a purging rectangle or something? Or some weird ghost geometry?

[media=67192]

Thanks,

Gustavo[/media]

First of all - "slice view" is your friend. Always look at your model in slice view. You can scroll through the layers and see which nozzle is being used when and it helps you realize problems and what slicer settings do.

If you click on the gear in settings (any of the gears) you can search for "tower" and enable those to be visible. Then you can set the position of the tower by changing x and y value in mm. Actually this is a case where "normal" view helps you position the tower. The back right corner is a bad location for this because the glass is usually lower there. Best to put it near the rear screw.

The tower is optional and some people don't use it but I personally prefer it. You can just uncheck the tower option if you want. The tower basically wipes the nozzle when you switch nozzles.