Firmware update fails

Pixopaxo

Posted · Firmware update fails

I tried to update the firmware of my ultimaker 2. Following the manual I got stuck, as the menu mentioned there is not in cura.

I found it inside the printer settings, there I clicked on automatic update.

After 20 times I gave up. Sometimes it seems to do something, led go out, and then it returns an error, that the update failed.

I could not find any download site where I can get the latest firmware, also no information on which version is current and what the changes are.

Is that hidden somewhere? I would try to download it myself and give cura the file to upload to my UM2.

Is there an other way to update an UM2 without cura? Maybe via Ardiuino? But where to get the latest version?

The firmware update should be under Manage Printers, through selecting the correct machine. So it seems like you've done that correctly. That the LEDs go out is a good sign: It tries to update the firmware.

You could also download the firmware here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/cura-binary-data/tree/master/cura/resources/firmware

These are the files that are included with Cura. You can select the one that applies to you (I think that would be MarlinUltimaker2.hex or MarlinUltimaker2plus.hex). You can upload the hex file with something like XLoader: http://xloader.russemotto.com/ You should then select the ATMega2560 with a baud rate of 250000 (COM port depends on how many devices you attached to your computer).

Cura seems to be uploading the firmware fine though, by your description. It's just that the firmware itself is broken. So it would also be broken if you download it from Github.

I'm going to ask one of our testers to re-test the UM2 firmware... Thanks for the report.

Posted (edited) · Firmware update fails

Our testers tested this and it worked fine for them.

Curious, I tried updating the firmware myself using Cura 2.6. Seems to work fine here!

Perhaps use a different USB cable?

You can always try going back to Cura 2.5 and uploading the firmware from there.

Edited by Guest

Hello again,

I tried it 20 times with Cura 2.6, several cables testet, other pc too. No Luck.

I then tried Xloader, it did something for a few seconds, but then hanged up.

The printer restarted and now shows version "_2.6ex"

I don't know if that was successful, but pretty awkward for a 3000 euro piece of hardware to have such a highly complicated and seemingly failing way of software update.

How can I be sure if its ok now?

Why does it fail with cura?

Where are he logs of Cura?

BTW, in the online manual under

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/20500-upgrade-firmware

there is a link

"Having issues when updating the firmware? Please read it here."

It leads to a 404 page.

If you have an Ultimaker 2 Extended, then "_2.6ex" is correct. We should give that better names...