SD card suddenly won't read, but it does write

Posted · SD card suddenly won't read, but it does write

Hi,

I just got a really, really weird issue on my UM2 extended.

Out of the blue it stopped reading sd cards, I literally did a print 20 minutes before. It freezes on reading and only after a minute or so does it go to no card detected if you don't have a card inserted. Same with the card from my other UM2.

Now, I would have been the first to say that the sd card slot has broken. Except there are a few oddities.

I tried exporting all my material settings and it worked perfectly. I can open the file on my computer and see a couple of my adjustments.

I tried a factory reset and after going through the guide it says to insert a card. Immediately when I did that it went into reading. So it seems like the detection pin is working just fine.

My other UM2 reads both sd cards perfectly.

I might add that i run tinkergnome 12.08.2 and have done so for about 1000 print hours without any trouble at all. I'm weary of upgrading though as last time I did the extruder motor lost all power.

In another thread gr5 suggested to move the cables slightly. Any other ideas before I try that?

Cheers

This has been resolved it appears.

My other printer developed the same problem today. And I realised that the common denominator was that I had just started using another card reader. It seems like it was quite dirty and left residue on the sd cards.

A little bit of isopropyl alcohol spray on the card and inserting it ten times solved the problem, at least for now.

Cheers

If you have the problem after having the printer for a while it can also be that you have too many files on it. There is a threshold were the printer suddenly cannot recognize it anymore. However this does not sound like that problem yet, but you could try if it helps stabilize a bit.

If you have the problem after having the printer for a while it can also be that you have too many files on it. There is a threshold were the printer suddenly cannot recognize it anymore. However this does not sound like that problem yet, but you could try if it helps stabilize a bit.

Yes, you notice a significant slowing down after a while. I usually clear out my cards every 20 prints or so.

I this case I also formatted the card to see if that helped. Only remembered about the "new" card reader after the second printer failed as well.

Cheers

• Like 1