Cura 2.6.1 seems to have trouble with Pivot points

kmanstudios

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.6.1 seems to have trouble with Pivot points

In this version, it seems to not like reading pivot points like it used to.

If I have a two part model, for instance, and both parts have the same pivot point, and no floating/stray mesh/geometry or other issues, it seems to want to either float or sink a model. In this instance, one part got placed correctly on the build plate and the other part got sunk.

I have had this happen on several models and no matter what I do to that model (and I am pulling every trick I know) it will behave the same way. Either floated above or below.

It is not consistent model to model though.

Edit: Oh yeah...no matter where I move the pivot points on those models, it gets placed the same way.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura 2.6.1 seems to have trouble with Pivot points

We haven't made any changes to that part of Cura for 2.6 (or 2.6.1 for that matter) as far as I know.

Did you disable the "drop objects on buildplate" option?

We haven't made any changes to that part of Cura for 2.6 (or 2.6.1 for that matter) as far as I know.

Yes, but, having to do that to make things go up or down to accommodate the base base of the object can be frustrating. I can usually fix those things as they are basic.

Next time I have a model that behaves badly, I can PM a link to someone so they can look. Modeling is one of the areas I am confident on, so I am puzzled by this.

It will probably be something silly, but a second set of eyes may be helpful

Edited by Guest

Yes, but, having to do that to make things go up or down to accommodate the base base of the object can be frustrating. I can usually fix those things as they are basic.

Next time I have a model that behaves badly, I can PM a link to someone so they can look. Modeling is one of the areas I am confident on, so I am puzzled by this.

It could be that disabling that feature actually makes them behave that way. Do they properly get put on the bed if you enable it?

Feel free to share the models with me. If it's something with the models, it's always good to have a few more edge case models.

Edited by Guest

It could be that disabling that feature actually makes them behave that way. Do they properly get put on the bed if you enable it?

Feel free to share the models with me. If it's something with the models, it's always good to have a few more edge case models.

Oh! Hahahahaha, I understand the question now...duhhhhhh...

OK, until recently, I had automatically drop model on. I always set my objects at 0,0,0 on the base with all pivot points located at the same. Basic operating procedure so that it will always work whether I am doing a two color print or not.

When it started to wonk out on me, I had to turn it off to allow above Zed0 or have fine tuning below Zed0.

But it seems to be model dependent and I have not figured out why. As soon as I have a model again (that is not humongous, up to you) I can PM a link to that file. I have been burning through a ton of experiments and I do not remember which ones or which versions gave me trouble. But it is always the same basic procedure when outputting for print.

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

OK, I finally got the file to work. But it all began as a retrofitted file from when I was experimenting with workflows from one program to another. I was using Incendia Next to generate my 3D fractals. A combo of 3DSMAX and 3D Coat to make parts and put it together using the voxels to create quick and clean boolean ops.

It was done before I had my basic workflow with these programs figured out about last November. As i have refined the fundamentals of what to do, when and what program to do it with, I usually do not have these problems these days. I had to really step back and look at it as if I had received the file like so many I have had to fix in the past. I mean get into it deep and down to the vertex level and such.

But, it did not like the pivot point being messed with. For some reason, I had to put the base of the model on 0,0,0 and leave the pivot point there.

Lessons here are these:

1. Having developed a set of fundamental steps and workflow from program to program, I have eliminated most of these issues. I have not encountered something like this in a few months.

2. Sometimes when a model takes you down the wrong rabbit hole, it is usually easier to start over rather than beat the model into submission.

3. Sometimes, you just have to beat on that thing like trying to make your little brother 'say uncle'. I do not know if that is universal enough or not. Here is the explanation.

4. After nearly 18 hours off and on, I almost said 'uncle' LOL

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1