Jump to content
Gibsoma

Help needed before I go mad!

Recommended Posts

Posted · Help needed before I go mad!

HI ,

I am hoping I can get some help here. I changed my hot end to a Micro-Swiss for my Duplicator I3 Plus, prior to this everything was printing great and Cura was doing a great job. However at exactly the same time as changing my hotend, I loaded Cura and it had the update of 2.6.1. So I updated my software and it had a problem installing. So I totally uninstalled the previous version of Cura including all the files in teh Appdata folder and installed the new one. I eventually got it installed by installing it onto my second hard drive. I then gcoded something to test my hotend. The results were terrible. The models were coming out with massive structural problems, very weak and squishy.

As I had changed two things I then had to see which was causing me the problems. I initially thought it was my hotend and tested various temperatures etc and changed my PLA even though the previous one was working great. I was still getting the same results. I then change my hot end back to the original brass one. But the results were the same. So I loaded a benchy which had been coded in simplyfy3d and it came out great, (see picture). I loaded the STL into Cura and rather than use my previous default setting, I used one of the predefined ones to make sure it wasn't a setting I had changed. However the results were the same as you can see in the pictures.

I am at a loss now and don't know what to do. I don't want to buy the Simplyfy3D software as I can't afford it and Cura was working great for my needs previously. I must have done something but can't think what. Any help would be much appreciated as my initial enjoyment of 3d printing is wearing off as I am spending all my time trying to get this to work rather than design and print things.

I have tried reducing print speed, infill speed, changing temperatures etc.

Benchys1.thumb.png.cf8bc95fa3fcb4998a2fdeda0d939f52.png

Benchys1.thumb.png.cf8bc95fa3fcb4998a2fdeda0d939f52.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Help needed before I go mad!

Keep in mind that we moved the data in the AppData folder from %APPDATA%\Local\cura to %APPDATA%\Roaming\cura, so if you deleted stuff you'd have to delete the new location (or both).

It might be worth your while to see which of the settings are wrong (if the settings are wrong). That could pinpoint the actual problem better than your current description. We can't really debug this issue for you since we don't have access to the Wanhao.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Help needed before I go mad!

Thanks ghostkeeper for the reply.

Sorry if my description isn't that great, I am new to this and still trying to get to grips with a lot of terms.

I did delete the Roaming\Cura folder. The models look to me to be suffering from under-extrusion, but I have the flow set at 100%. I was hoping that someone could confirm that it is an under-extrusion problem. I am assuming that it is a setting problem because I can print previous models fine, and the OK test model is also find. Also as I changed the hot-end back, I am feeling more convinced that it is a setting in Cura that is causing my problems. I just can't think which it would be. I have read a lot of forums and tried various scenarios but no change.

I think I will try another complete uninstall and re-install of Cura to see if that will help.

Thanks

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Help needed before I go mad!

Check if the material diameter is set correctly. If it is not visible in the sidebar under "custom" settings, use the search field to look it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Help needed before I go mad!

Thanks Both for your replies. I un-installed Cura completely including deleting the appdata local and roaming folders. I then tried to reinstall with 2.6.2. However I got the same message I got the previous times I had tried to install it. See below.

5a333cccebad6_CuraError.JPG.c15ab66ffa94575895bbba3f3f99e0c1.JPG

However this time I ignored it and carried on the installation. Normally this is something I would never do, but I was running out of options. Low and behold everything has started to work fine again. I still can't get it to give me the estimated cost even though I have completed the PLA costings etc, but this is nothing. I am just glad to get back to enjoying my printer rather than working on it.

If someone could shed any light on the error message it would be appreciated.

Again many thanks for your help.

Mark

5a333cccebad6_CuraError.JPG.c15ab66ffa94575895bbba3f3f99e0c1.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!
      Ultimaker Cura 4.0 is mainly focused on the improved user interface and cloud integration.
      As always, we want to collect your user feedback for this release. If there are any improvements you can think of, feel free to mention it here and help us to shape the next release.
      • 96 replies
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!