Firmware Code Displayed on UM3 UI prompt

Rossboss

Posted · Firmware Code Displayed on UM3 UI prompt

I tried to update the firmware today and when I finished establishing the wifi connection and downloading the firmware on my UM3 it displayed the entire firmware code on the user interface which forces me to scroll through the entire thing on the click wheel (this took 20 minutes) until I could select "INSTALL". After selecting install it immediately gave me a "failed to verify firmware update" error message. I gave up on updating it and was just going to start my print but it would not let me out of the "Ignore/Install" prompt. I restarted the printer several times and upon reboot the "Print/Materials/System" page comes up for one second then immediately takes me to the Firmware update prompt again which forces me to scroll through the entire code. How do I get out of this loop!?

What is displayed exactly? As displaying the "firmware code" wouldn't show anything readable.

Most likely, you are hitting some kind of captive portal instead of our update servers. Meaning something else then our servers is answering to the update request.

If you are in an office environment, you should ask for some assistance of your network administrator, could be a firewall that is causing your problems.

(On our side, we should fix the code to not display whatever we get back from the server, but validate that it's a valid version number, as that is what it is trying to display. The response from http://software.ultimaker.com/jedi/releases/latest.version )

Alternatively, to do an update, use the procedure described at https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/20500-upgrade-firmware to download the necessary files and put them on the USB drive.

Disconnect the network cable (which should prevent the looping for asking to upgrade the firmware), turn off the WiFi and make sure the USB stick is inserted.

Then you should be able to do a manual update of the firmware using the menu items System -> Maintenance -> Update firmware.

Yeah, so there is no way Ultimaker didn't even talk about this enormous interface problem, right? 

How is there no back button on the interface? Why is it scroll based? Is this a turn of the century iPod? Come on, this is truly embarrassing. 

I have the same problem. The message being displayed is the entirety of Carnegie Mellon's wifi sign on page HTML. @Rossboss what solution did you find for the firewall?

@Daid Is there a way to temporarily disable wifi? Keep in mind, I can't get to the main menu. 

9 hours ago, csoska said:

Yeah, so there is no way Ultimaker didn't even talk about this enormous interface problem, right?

You mean we failed to catch this bug. We're only human. And I think we acknowledge the bug right here...

How is there no back button on the interface? Why is it scroll based? Is this a turn of the century iPod? Come on, this is truly embarrassing. 

The reason it's still being the same scroll wheel as the UM2 is part of the turbulent history of Ultimaker. Everyone agrees that our interface (screen+button) is not of this age, and a bit embarrassing.

The reason for no separate back button is easy. Because a 2nd button makes it an awkward and bad UX. The Replicator 5gen has it, and it only makes it more awkward to use the interface. It was a very well thought out choice not to add more buttons.

I have the same problem. The message being displayed is the entirety of Carnegie Mellon's wifi sign on page HTML. @Rossboss what solution did you find for the firewall?

@Daid Is there a way to temporarily disable wifi? Keep in mind, I can't get to the main menu. 

While an extremely horrible thing to do, you'll have to scroll down all the way on the "new update available" message and hit the ignore button. It's far from ideal, but as we didn't account for this issue, there is no other workaround. But then you should be able to reach the main menu.

@Daid I'm sorry about getting upset. You did acknowledge the problem and the solution you suggested worked.  We are just trying to install around 7 Ultimaker 3's and I did not want this to be an ongoing issue. I fixed the problem and I think I have a workaround for the problem. What was being displayed was the HTML from CMU's wifi login page. I will install the machines with a wired connection and that should solve this. 

For firmware, I downloaded and installed the latest firmware files via flash drive once I was able to navigate away from the message. Again, I'm sorry for blowing up and I appreciate your response. 

I'm just glad you managed to work around it for now. I've also submitted a fix for this problem so we ignore wrongly retrieved version numbers it in the future.

• Thanks 1