Cura 2.6.2 adding support where it's not required or expected

pandpp

Posted · Cura 2.6.2 adding support where it's not required or expected

I saw this morning that Cura 2.6.2 was available, so I upgraded from 2.5.0, Linux version.

When I cut an STL that has support enabled, the 2.6.2 version is adding support that is not required.

The design is a basic 3 corner bracket with holes. Support is being added for the top of the hole. That part is as expected.

What is not expected is the support on the bed for the hole or the fact that the support in the hole slopes down towards the bed, but doesn't actually touch the bed.

Sliced with 2.5.0

2.5.0.png.771cd7e6c82c7642b286c07a10898371.png

Sliced with 2.6.2

2.6.2.png.e149ad39f70369e6039c87005f6d0c3b.png

The STL:

external_corner.stl

The GCode files:

Sliced with 2.5.0

Sliced with 2.6.2

Is this expected?

The settings between 2.5.0 and 2.6.2 are identical to the best of my knowledge.

2.5.0.png.771cd7e6c82c7642b286c07a10898371.png

2.6.2.png.e149ad39f70369e6039c87005f6d0c3b.png

Try reducing "Horizontal Support Expansion" setting from the default of 3 to something smaller.

Thanks for the suggestion. My default setting in 2.6.2 was 0.2mm. Reducing that to 0 made no difference. Increasing it to 1mm made a noticeable change.

Even a value of -0.4 has no difference on the results. Anything above that just removes all support.

Try reducing "Horizontal Support Expansion" setting from the default of 3 to something smaller.

Thanks for the suggestion.  My default setting in 2.6.2 was 0.2mm.  Reducing that to 0 made no difference.  Increasing it to 1mm made a noticeable change.

Even a value of -0.4 has no difference on the results.  Anything above that just removes all support.

Here's a screen shot of Cura 2.6.2 of your file from my computer. Win10 Pro, 64 Bit. My machine is UM3 Ext using PVA for support from Extruder #2.

Cura262.thumb.jpg.aa81cc1a4b869f126a2782f207b46e53.jpg

All of the default "Normal" profile settings were used except for changing Build Plate Adhesion Type from Brim to Skirt and setting Horizontal Support Expansion from default of 3mm to .5mm

What printer are you using? Perhaps a Linux problem?

Hope this helps . . .

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.6.2 adding support where it's not required or expected

Those small pieces of support are being recognized as small overhangs which require support towers.

You could disable support towers or reduce the support tower diameter in order to prevent this from happening.

Edited by Guest

All of the default "Normal" profile settings were used except for changing Build Plate Adhesion Type from Brim to Skirt and setting Horizontal Support Expansion from default of 3mm to .5mm

Thanks XYZ.

I tried setting all of my settings back to default and it cuts perfectly.

What I found was causing it, was changing the layer height to 0.2 or below, with a first layer height of 0.3.

I then found if I changed both the layer height to 0.2 and the first layer height to 0.2, again it cut as expected.

Modifying Support Horizontal Expansion all the way to zero (default is 0.2) makes no difference to the result.

I'm using it on a Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus, with a 0.4mm nozzle.

I might try running it on a Windows box to see the results.

Thanks XYZ.

I tried setting all of my settings back to default and it cuts perfectly.

What I found was causing it, was changing the layer height to 0.2 or below, with a first layer height of 0.3.

I then found if I changed both the layer height to 0.2 and the first layer height to 0.2, again it cut as expected.

Modifying Support Horizontal Expansion all the way to zero (default is 0.2) makes no difference to the result.

I'm using it on a Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus, with a 0.4mm nozzle.

I might try running it on a Windows box to see the results.

Using a single extruder machine for both the object and the support often yields vastly different results than dual extrusion machines using the same settings. That's why it is so important to include as many details as possible when posting / describing a problem for help.

Glad you were successful at finding a solution.

Glad you were successful at finding a solution.

I wouldn't say that I have found a solution, but that I have found a bug.

Having to make the first layer height the same as layer height voids the purpose of having the 2 settings.

This problem does NOT exist in 2.5.0.

I installed Cura 2.6.2 on a fresh Windows 7 machine.

If I configure the printer to be an Ultimaker 3 (dual extruder), choose to use support, no build plate adhesion and Normal (0.15mm) I can replicate the issue.

Changing the Support Horizontal Expansion from the default setting of 0.2 to 0.0 does nothing to resolve this issue.

The same results were obtained when I set the printer to be an Ultimaker Original+.

5a333ce2031d5_Image406.thumb.png.6835771268e1fbd731ce723f7229dd86.png