Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
mwbelcher

How to format SD card to work with Ulticontroller

So I got my Ultimaker built, calibrated, tweaked, and it is cranking away. I love this thing...

BUT I cannot get the Ulticontroller to work with my SD cards. I have a Sandisk 2GB SD card that is formatted on my mac, I cleared it out, loaded some gcode files and followed the instructions on the site.

The Ulticontroller recognizes a card has been inserted but when I go further into the menu where I should see "card menu" all I see is "no card" I have tried 3 different SD cards and same thing.

I am guessing they just aren't formatted correctly for the Ulticontroller? Two of the three SD cards I tried are standard SD and one was the SDHC.

Please help, having my computer tethered to the printer all the time is not working out.

Thanks for your help. These forums are amazing!

After reading the Ulticontroller wiki over I realized I didn't do a custom build of the firmware.

I just installed Cura, updated to Marlin firmware and started printing. Might this be the problem?

Is there any "easy" way to check if the SD card is enabled in the firmware I am using?

PS - I have now tried 4 SD cards and format/reformatted on a Mac and a Windows computer with no luck. Everything else about the ulticontroller seems to work fine.

Thanks for any help.

Okay... nevermind.

opened the bottom and switched the grey cables and inspected everything. Now it reads the cards just fine... well sort of. For a few seconds then it goes crazy flashing from one screen to the next and beeping in 1 second intervals.

I have inspected the cable and see one of the wires has torn/yanked out... Maybe that is what all the sounds and flashing are about. I am going to try to repair it now and hopefully all will be well again.

Damn I LOVE my Ultimaker! I am going to post some of the crazy stuff I've been trying later this week.

Hello,

Didn't experience probs with SD cards on Ulticontroller. I installed the controller immediatelly at assambly of the UM, so when upgrading the firmware to Marlin, it probably correctly installed for use of Ulticontroller straight away.

I do have an issue though, with SD cards, in Cura 13.03. After slicing a file i want to copy it directly on the SD card though this always throws the following error message at me "failed to copy file to sd card"

Any ideas?

Tnx!