Changing Nozzle Slots

Posted (edited) · Changing Nozzle Slots

Hello,

Sorry if this is a duplicate, as I'm sure someone has asked this question. I have not found a post on it, however.

I am converting my UM2 to 1.75 mm and am thinking about leaving my 2.85 assembly together in one slot and was wondering how to let Cura recognize this.

Thanks,

Liam

Edited by Guest

Posted · Changing Nozzle Slots

It depends how you want to go about the feeder motor at the back. Leave only one there or add another one on the right side?

If you use only one then I would create two different machines in Cura 2.x and use either when you want to print with different filament diameters.

It depends how you want to go about the feeder motor at the back. Leave only one there or add another one on the right side?

If you use only one then I would create two different machines in Cura 2.x and use either when you want to print with different filament diameters.

This is essentially what I plan to do. I am thinking about cutting the heater block and heat sensor cables and using screw terminals to easily switch nozzles without messing with the motherboard every time. Any tips on how to do this? I don't want to mess up my new components... :p

I did this. And I spent quite some time to set up a machine profile for 1.75mm on extruder 2. But I cannot share it because I really had to do some very nasty hacks such as copying user settings from one PC to the other to get it working on the PC I wanted to have it. You have to create new json (for the machine and the extruders) and other configuration files. Unfortunately this is not very well documented atm. Most important thing to know is that it seems the property "material_diameter" is defined on the machine level instead of the extruder level (which is wrong imho).

Further you have to define a 1.75mm material for your machine type and that's where I just got it running by accident and not by knowledge. Changing the existing generic 1.75mm PLA profile so it should also appear with the newly defined machine helped in my case on one PC but didn't work on the other. Copying the machine definition from the user settings got it working on the other computer.

Maybe it's me being not clever enough for creating those files. In this case I want to ask the Cura devs to publish some kind of machine-profile-for-dummies(-like-me) guide.

Fair enough. Did you plug the heater and sensor into the ports where the dual extrusion was going to go?

You mean the temp2 and the heater2 connector? Yes. And I use Tinkerware 16.08.something.

You mean the temp2 and the heater2 connector? Yes. And I use Tinkerware 16.08.something.

Would it be easier to simply use screw terminals or something to switch heaters and temp sensors instead of having to play with the software?

Would it be easier to simply use screw terminals or something to switch heaters and temp sensors instead of having to play with the software?

I don't recommend to use switches for the pt100 and the heater. The PT100 would suffer from wrong measurement and the switch for the heater would have to sustain the 35W. If it is switched accidentially at full power it can be fused.

I wasn't thinking of using a switch. I was thinking banana plugs or the like. Or a protoboard with screw terminals to switch the heaters and pt100s and the wires from the board simply soldered on?

I would avoid any "unnecessary" connectors.