Cura trying to move head outside of printable area

smartroad

Posted · Cura trying to move head outside of printable area

Hi! I am trying to use Cura for some dual extrusion work. Normally I use Slic3r (sorry!) for single but it is rubbish at dual. I am having an issue with a model when it is sliced with two materials. The print head is being sent to X-18 Y0 on three layers. Firstly I am not sure why the head is being sent to the home position during the print nor am I sure why it would try to send to a negative coordinate. 18mm happens though to be the distance between the two print heads which can't be a coincidence. The errors are on layers 1 and 94.

What is interesting is that the layer view in Cura ignores the error and show travel moves starting from origin:

5a333e124e397_CuraSliceError01.thumb.PNG.9a607ad251ec9e0605788be9d6e1e2e0.PNG

Where as Repetier-Host shows the real moves outside of the printable area. I guess that is due to RH not being setup for dual extrusion and showing the full offsets:

5a333e12633b6_CuraSliceError02.thumb.PNG.ca7bd80f9034d36e4a635e3a67e5bd61.PNG

I am manually changing the gcode now to see if that sorts the issue for this print, but doesn't explain why the print head is moving to the home position anyway. If I set the model to print using a single extruder for both parts then it doesn't do those moves, it is only when dual extrusion is selected it does it.

Any thoughts on what is going on here? Anything else you guys need me to do/show.

The printer is a custom machine using Repetier - not that it is that which is the problem in this case but FYI :D

5a333e124e397_CuraSliceError01.thumb.PNG.9a607ad251ec9e0605788be9d6e1e2e0.PNG

5a333e12633b6_CuraSliceError02.thumb.PNG.ca7bd80f9034d36e4a635e3a67e5bd61.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · Cura trying to move head outside of printable area

As a beginner to 3d printing without a 'dual extruder' printer my thoughts are offered only for your consideration. My suggestion is that you go to where you input the 'dual extruder' info and change the sign on where you have given the distance between the nozzles so, as I read your post, you would change the '18' to minus 18 thus '-18'. My thinking is this will either double the offset or reduce it to zero by avoiding the 'move into outside of printable area'. The move back to the home position might make sense to a program writer as it would, I think, allow the use of existing code and not require 'new' code to allow the sudden inclusion of a move of 18 mm without a change in the relative co-ordinates. Just a suggestion which might help you working out this problem.

• 5 months later...
    Posted (edited) · Cura trying to move head outside of printable area

Hi everyone!

I have the exact same issue with my printer (custom model as well).

For some reason the extruder head is trying to move outside of the printable area. And that happened only with the dual extrusion mode:

Cura version - 3.0.3

2018-02-01_10-38-47.png

2018-02-01_10-47-48.png

Edited by notanexpert

Posted (edited) · Cura trying to move head outside of printable area

"The gcode script for nozzle change for the Ultimaker 3 is also used on the third party printer, I think this should be excluded from this printers.

This also happens in the 3.2beta".

Edited by amagro